Thursday, May 28, 2015

Black Pink Weed

We have to watch the Black Iris while it is here. The stems are on their second flowers now. They got a good rinse today.




















The Coral Honeysuckle, Lonicera sempervirens will have a much longer bloom period than the iris. This one is more pink than red. 

When I searched to get the correct botanical name, I immediately became suspicious. These are not Coral Honeysuckle flowers which are tubular.

Who is this. I looked around and could not settle on a different Lonicera. The flowers look L. japonica, the invasive species, but the vine's stems, leaves and behavior are different. I have no idea who this pretty pink honeysuckle is.





















I'm beginning to think I need to do some ruthless editing in this front bed by the porch. I have short things in there I want to see. The tall things I let go are getting in the way. I just have so much trouble yanking a good wild flower.

There's plenty more. There's plenty more. Get ruthless. Rip em out.





















All that Lush down there and far beyond has been keeping me busy though. I have a lot of ground to edit. I remove the annoying things and leave the rest. The problem with the tall things in the front bed is they are not really annoying, just taller than some other nice things.

What to do, what to do? Get ruthless.


4 comments:

Lola said...

I must get ruthless also. Don't want to but must. A tree is not good next to the house. Thanks to birds.

Christopher C. NC said...

Better to get the trees when they are little and easier to get rid of Lola.

beverly said...

Chrisopher your honeysuckle seems to resemble Lonicera x heckrotti 'Gold Flame'?? I wondered about it when you originally said coral honeysuckle since yes, that is tubular. I had one of the former and it was lovely but it got mildew which the L. sempervirens did not. Does yours have that problem?

Christopher C. NC said...

Bev I bet you are correct on the ID. I may have seen mildew on the mother plant, but I am not 100% certain. I will say it hasn't ever been bad enough to register. The tall phlox here get it bad. The full names of many plants in my mom's part of the garden are long lost. It's pretty. That is all that mattered to both my gardening parents.