Monday, May 4, 2015

In My Grass

I have a snake in the grass. It is twenty plus feet long and made out of stone. Slithering is in the eye of the beholder.





















Twin Falls Pond got a mermaid today.





















She is a real heifer. It is solid metal, bronze I suppose, and weighs a good one hundred and fifty pounds of pure dead weight. It took two of us to move her slowly into position.

She needs a name. What shall we call her?



















Frolicking and splashing is in the eye of the beholder. I'm just not quite sold on the placement yet. Maybe she needs to go down one tier onto the polished Mexican beach pebbles where the pots were going to be and face the other direction.





















There is a lot going on in my grass besides a stone snake. That is why I am dragging my feet on mowing the Great Lawn and only whack paths every where else.





















All kinds of small native delicacies are lurking in a weed patch most folks would just mow to the ground. I am waiting for the bloom to ID this lily. I am assuming it is a Clintonia species.





















The Showy Orchis is six inches tall at best. It could get a little bigger with time, but not much. It is quite easy for it to hide in the Lush.





















The Dwarf Crested iris are even smaller. Would you weed whack that? People do.

I have three colors of this iris. It is subtle, but this one followed me home last year only because to me it is a shade darker and a shade more purple than the blue one I have.





















I have the white one.





















This is the lighter blue one. This tiny iris forms great big ever expanding patches that can be quite showy when they produce a mass bloom.





















Ferns unfurl throughout the garden. I only planted nine. Their numbers have to be approaching a hundred.




















Next door the Spanish Bluebells are as thick as a lawn.





















A yellow rhododendron blooms.





















A deep pink azalea is about to open.



























All in  lawn of bluebells.





















One more look at the big pink azalea. This is the opening act to the rhododendron show.





















In my grass, if you want to call it that, is a world worth exploring. All it needs are paths to lead you through to find the treasures hiding there.


2 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Always a treat to come by and see what is blooming Outside Clyde. Love the iris.. have failed miserably trying to grow a few in my garden, but I won't give up!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am glad you have a patience with the dandelions. When I see them in bloom or seed they give me that childhood feeling of awe and hilarity that comes with blowing the seeds everywhere.