Sunday, February 27, 2022

Mr. Magoo Walks Into A Drizzle

When the clouds are not so dark to slow the shutter speed, when my hands are being relatively steady and when the camera actually focuses closeup, I can download a picture to the computer and actually see the Witch Hazels blooms in some detail. Everything needs to be just right.














The mulching of the roadside vegetable garden is underway. I am trying to outsmart the raccoons by getting a very early start. Wish me luck.














Fresh mulch attracts earthworms big time. Earthworms set the raccoons and who know what else to pecking holes all over the vegetable garden. I hope to get all the digging and pecking over with before planting time.














There were plans for another garden chore, but a cold drizzle commenced before I could get to that. Mud was going to be involved and dry mud is better than wet mud. I wandered off in the drizzle before the rain started again. The winter view from the scenic byway grows more garden like by the year.














In this light and eyesight, the individual plants don't matter as much as the form, color and texture they bring to the garden in the big picture, of the ambiance and feeling that creates. Something is happening here.














I see crocus as pops of color. They are best planted in mass quantity.














One eyeball at a time, easy office visit laser fix. Two weeks to partial vision and another month of Mr. Magoo wandering out there in the drizzle.


4 comments:

C. C. said...

Mmm, the aroma of mulch is one of my favorites. I've had 30 bags sitting in my driveway since early January, but naturally the most pleasant days for yard work lately have been mostly workday-weekdays when I'm unavailable. Maybe next weekend. It's almost too late. I'll be stomping on daffs and bluebell foliage trying to spread it.

Your roadside garden looks great already.

Barbara H. said...

Progress is being made on all fronts. Hope the time waiting for good eyesight again goes fast for you.

RobinL said...

I've heard so much about the sweet fragrance of witch hazel blooms, but I have never smelled it for myself. Love those wine bottle "plantings". Good excuse for wine drinking.

Christopher C. NC said...

CC I like the earthy aroma of a good mulch too. Yes, you need to get it done before spring gets too far along. Lucky for me the only mulched bed I have is the roadside vegetable garden.

Barbara I so look forward to getting my eyesight back This secondary cataracts has been worse and more annoying than the original.

Robin the 'Arnold's Promise' is the most fragrant of the three witch hazels I have, a sweet and spicy scent. The wine bottles are fun. I have a big stash and may plant some more.