Monday, July 20, 2009

Turdhenge

I think I have OD'd on rocks.

I did not want to look at the cleanout pipe that sticks up out of the ground and it is important to prevent any vehicles from driving onto the plastic septic tank. I started hauling large boulders to create something. And I am uninspired.



I am not the only crazy obsessed person in these hills who is stacking and arranging rocks. There is a local blogger, The Avant Garden , who blogs mostly about stacking rocks. His rock stacking seems to be more about pleasure and is often ephemeral. I'm not there yet. I am more into permanence.

Turdhenge begins.



But I am uninspired. Sadly the reason I think is because these rocks are too small. The largest rocks I had the energy to move and they look to small. I want monumental. I want wreck your car before you end up on top of the turdbox rocks.

The driveway and turning area will be gravel and I can't plant on top of this thing so it makes sense to cover it with gravel for ease of any potential future access and as a visual continuation of a large area of gravel. Separated of course for practical reasons.



This will have to do for now. It should keep the vehicular traffic away from this area.



It just so happens there is a pile of substantial boulders stacked along my drive from the original grading done for the cozy cabin. It will take a machine to move them. I will need a little bit of final grading done at some point and a lot more gravel spread around. Huge satisfying boulders could be set into place at that time as well.

Or maybe I will come up with another idea entirely.



The Shasta Daisies are so effortlessly perfect just the way they are. If only rocks were that easy. I will be happy to move on to insulation, stair building or maybe even finish the siding. I need a break from moving rocks.

11 comments:

Tessa at Blunders with shoots, blossoms 'n roots said...

And to think they came up with a pet rock a few decades ago! Me thinks you are not in need of any more 'pets'! I wish my Shasta Daisies looked like that :)

Lola said...

I'm sure you will come up with a splendid idea to camouflage your problem. Sometimes when we "walk" away from something it gives us time to contemplate therefore giving us unlimited ideas concerning what is a delima {sp}.

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! Is this a permanent thing or just until you gravel over the entire driveway? I can't see how you possibly moved those huge rocks on your own! You say they are small, but they look huge in these photos!

Those Shasta Daisies are gorgeous! I love daisies.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Lola. Time away will give your brain time to mold a vision. Inspiration can't be rushed. And I agree with Siria, the rocks look huge. And I agree with Tessa. The Shastas look fabulous. :)

Rose said...

I think inspiration will come to you eventually, Christopher, and I hope it does. I'm envisioning people centuries from now finding "Turdhenge" and wondering who created it and what its purpose might have been:)

Gail said...

I think you're right Christopher, bigger rocks are needed...Once they are moved up there your inspiration will return. gail

Christopher C. NC said...

Tessa I guess you could say I am herding my pet rocks.

Lola it is time to step away for a while, a few months even and work on something else.

Siria, something permanent must go there to protect the septic tank. These stones may just be temporary.

Grace I agree with them all too. Some times the Shasta Daisy get to tall and flop over. These haven't done that which is nice.

Rose that is what I want, something to make people stop and wonder now and in a couple of centuries. I need a backhoe. Though I did have a different stacking idea that will require a lot more rocks.

Gail those rocks just don't have enough heft in this large space do they?

beckie said...

Christopher, love the idea of Turdhenge! You keep us so entertained with your rocks. :)

Anonymous said...

Turdhenge; LOL!

bev

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Turdhenge is a fabulous title.

The turlettes are ruminating in my head and I think I have a image in my mind for this area.

Imagine the beautifully hand fitted large stone borders that you see surrounding raised Japanese gravel gardens.

You turdhenge boulders , if turned on their sides and fitted nicely could make a really stunning border.

Then fill the border , covering the two tanks with raked gravel.

Within the raked gravel, between the tank covers bring in a couple of large monumental size rocks for a spectacular Isamu Noguchi style effect garden.

or not. ...

just my little turdlettes running amuck in my mind.

Christopher C. NC said...

Michelle, the turdlettes running amuck in your mind has given me the notion that the gravel over the septic tank should be different from the 3/4 inch driveway gravel. That will further define the area as separate as will a stone border to hold the other gravel in. Perhaps when I run out of things to do, it could even be raked, zen like, before I dash off into the garden.