Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Where Was I

Once the thunderstorm passed



And Crawford was fed and put to bed



It was time for a little stroll in the still wet to clear my head.



The Gloriosa Daisies, aka Black-Eyed Susan; there is that name confusion where the real name, Rudbeckia hirta comes in handy, comes in all kinds of color variations to makes things more confusing.



This is the kind of wild confusion that I think I may be able to organize one day into organized confusion.



But things happen here and you never know what is going to pop up. Bulbarella loves this new daylily that she grew from seed just to see what she would get. This was from simple seed collection, not a planned breeding program. Out of a row of 30 seedlings mostly in the orange tones was this peachy double.



I was busy while Crawford was stuck in the tree. The second electric line was threaded through PVC pipe and run from the cabin to the well head.



And the trench that wrecked my driveway and mashed the other half of my front bed was filled back in.



All the way to the top.

The gas line, main water line and two electric lines to the well enter the cabin in the same general spot. There is some hookup work to do, but the lines are in.



And I was back filling behind the new block retaining wall. There has been a lot of dirt shoveling while I fretted over a kitten stuck in a tree 60 feet off the ground.



Hopefully everything is back to normal for a spell.



And the unfolding summer can be enjoyed.



And plans for moving some Black Cohosh, Actaea racemosa to my section of the shaded forest, aka septic drain field garden, can be contemplated.



I just need to find some that need a new home.

10 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The photo of the mist shrouded mountains is soothing much likeI bet how you felt when Crawford decended the tree. Poor little fellow. I bet he had a nice long nap when he landed.

Working in the garden always gets me through fretful times. Your backfilling project sounds back breaking to me. Electric and water for the Cozy Cabin sounds marvelous. I bet you are now getting anxious to get in there.

Frances said...

Hi Christopher, I do hope things get more normal for you now. What a good way to work off the anxiety about Crawford with the shovel. What a lot was accomplished! The actea is a wonderful plant and would be a good choice for that spot. They like it wet, don't they?
Frances

Anonymous said...

I bet he doesn't do that again! (will he? I'm not a cat person.)
You got some real work done there. I guess it's too hopeful a thought that you could occupy it by winter? The whole inside needs doing, huh.

bev

Lola said...

Bless your heart Christopher. I can just imagine you shoveling like crazy worried sick about Crawford. I'm glad he is down & ok. Sleeping like a baby that didn't do anything. lol
A good job getting water & power connected like that. Sorry it tore you drive up. Means more gravel.
It sure looks good.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa, it is still strange to me how after a storm passes all those cloud remnants seem to have been yanked out of the sky and pulled to the ground. There is one more trench to dig for the main power line from the telephone pole to the meter by the front steps.

Frances the Black Cohosh is plentiful in the forest up here. I don't see it real close to the wet streams, but it tends to stay moist up here in general.

Bev, we are very close to getting the rough plumbing inspection which then allows insulationa nd drywall. There is a slight chance I could be in this winter.

Lola the whole stuck in the tree thing was a bit stressful for sure. The drive way will need to be regraded and freshly graveled at some point. It should wait til the end I think.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

What a relief to have those lines in and the trench gone. I couldn't help but notice the difference in color between your soil and mine. I'm used to dark mud. Your Actaeas are so lovely. I can't seem to get mine to reseed. I must be pulling the seedlings out thinking they're weeds.

beckie said...

Whew! So glad Crawford is safe and sound. And such a lot accomplished while worrying about him. :) I love those Gloriosa Daisys. I planted some indoors and they are doing very well in my gardens with lots of color combos. The peachy double lily is beautiful. Would love to have one like it in my collection.

Siria said...

Hello Christopher! You were sure busy while trying to get poor Crawford down from that tree! I think your adrenaline must have been running double time!!!

I too love the mist shrouded mountains after a rain storm. Those clouds aren't "yanked out of the sky" though...remember...you live up in the those mountains that are up in the sky! :)

Siria said...

p.s. I think I need seed gathering lessons from Bulbarella. I never seem to have any luck trying to grow things from seeds I have gathered. That daylily is gorgeous!

Christopher C. NC said...

MMGD, I'm still learning my seddlings here. One thing I like to do is start seeds in pots and grow them out a bit to give them a leg up on the competition. This also familiarizes me with the seedlings too.

Hi Beckie. I'm so glad all ended well with Crawford on this adventure. Hopefully they learn because there are wild animals out there and hunters with dogs. You have the Rudbeckia inside or you started them inside and planted them out in the garden?

Siria that is what the high mountains do, tear parts of the clouds off as they are passing.

Seed gathering is easy. One brown paper grocery bag, wait til seeds are good and ripe, gather, toss in bag, let dry. Then they can be shifted to seperate the seeds and stored in containers. When you are in the mood that fall, next spring or early summer, either fling them out where you want them or scratch them into the ground a little for that extra effort.

I can see this daylily will need regular dividing to increase its numbers.