Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Sunday Stroll

Wanda and Rosie wait patiently for love. We waited and waited until 5pm when the animal control officer finally arrived. I hated waiting with two cats securely hidden and business deprived deep in the closet beneath the stairs. One can't be too upset though with pickup service on a Easter Sunday.



I tried to go for a stroll earlier and as soon as I disappeared over the hill Wanda made a pitiful fuss and I came back. I could wait in the house and they were fine.



It was a picture perfect day of blue skies, warm sun and a hillside covered with blooming bulbs.



It was probably a good thing Wanda, Rosie and the animal control man made me wait. I was a bit wore out from a long week of work and the hand meadow mowing from the day before. I needed to sit still for a while.

Some of the bulbs on this hill just are not in the Scheeper's catalog I am looking in. This looks like a double with a trumpet. Is this some new class or division? Bulbarella doesn't keep records. She just places an order when something looks new or different.



The minor bulbs are popping up every where. Each year it seems there are more. Each year the ridge top garden has gotten a bit tidier too.



With the dogs now gone I was finally free to take a long leisurely stroll and inspect the entire grounds. The conditions couldn't have been more perfect.





The Anemone like the other minor bulbs is showing up in more places. The warm is encouraging all kinds of stirrings.



Something has gone horribly wrong. The WUD (World's Ugliest Daffodil) has under gone an amazing transformation.



I think it must have snuck off to an undisclosed location for some major plastic surgery during the off season. What happened? It is like Cinderella has arrived at the ball in all her frilly finery. The WUD is no more.



I saw the first slithering thing of the season. That is how warm it is at 4000 feet up. I like the box turtles better.



I am always thrilled to see the Foxtail Lily, Eremurus, return. I have read a bit that they are fussy. This must be the perfect spot because they keep getting bigger every year.



Looping back around to the beginning with the setting sun,



It was time to pull two scaredy cats out of the closet and toss them outside. It took quite a few moments of sniffing around to relax.



Free at last. Still it is a good idea to keep on top of your evasive maneuvers.



A beautiful day ends with life settling back into its normal routines with its normal inhabitants in anticipation of all the new green life that is stirring.

8 comments:

Lola said...

Love those doubles. If you find out the name do let us know. And, what happened to WUD? My she is a pretty one casting jealousy over the others.
Things do work out for the best. You needed the quiet for awhile waiting. Afterward you were able to enjoy your stroll more.
Oh Crawford is at his cute self, trying out those claws to make sure they still work.
I know it's a busy time of yr but do be careful & slow down a bit.

Cyndy said...

What a pleasant stroll! That daff is not ugly, just misunderstood. I've planted and lost quite a few foxtails, but seem to have a few that made it through this winter, fingers crossed - yours look very happy :)

Jan said...

What a lovely area for strolling on such a beautiful day. You are so lucky to have all this.

Jan
Always Growing

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You deserve to take time and enjoy all that you do on that mountain Christopher. You should do it more often. I can see how you would be drawn out onto the property with all of those beautiful bulbs blooming. I am surprised that the dog catcher came on Easter Sunday. I hope they get a nice home. Someone that appreciates them.

Anonymous said...

Chris, there's a database of daffodil variety info and photos which might help you with your unknown double, daffseek.org. (Maybe you know it already.)

Daffseek looks to be most useful if you know the variety name and want a photo or other details, but you can also search by basic descriptive fields.

Anyway, if you want to spend some rainy afternoon looking for your unknown yellow double, using Advanced Search and putting in only the color and "double," I got nearly 200 matches, about half with photos.... Adding height and season info would cut the total to a much more manageable group.

(I happened to see a mention of Daffseek yesterday on the GW Bulb forum. You could also post a photo and ask the forum members for an ID.)

Now if only there were a similar resource for Shasta daisies....

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! It looks like you had a wonderful Easter. I had quite a few posts to catch up on, having been busy getting ready for a family get together on Easter Sunday. You are a good person to have given your love and attention to poor Rosie and Wanda. I sure hope they find good homes for them. They seemed like a cute pair!

The mountain top is looking fabulous! I hope you took some time to sit on that lovely bench looking over the hillside of blooms. I know how big your property is and I can't fathom how you have gotten it so tidy! It looks great!!! Hope the weather keeps holding out for you. What's going on at the Cozy Cabin?

Randy Emmitt said...

Christopher,
Your bulbs look pretty good! I planted a foxtail lily last fall really looking forward to seeing it go to town. Glad someone else in NC has some.

Gail said...

I've been reading your posts and catching up...it's lovely up there on your mountain...and the bulbs, minor, major and WUD are all delightful...Glad the kitties are safe and happy....gail