Friday, April 2, 2010

Scenes From Bulbhilla

We have gone from zero to hundreds of blooming daffodils in three days. These highs in the 80's are freaking me out.



I have not yet acquired the seasonal fortitude for nonchalance about how things are. Here the garden is on a schedule. Plants are supposed to come and go in an orderly fashion and on time. Messing with the schedule messes with my head. I come from a place where that was never even a thought. In time I will adjust. I have no choice.

Rip Van Winkle knows what it is doing.



The Chionodoxa are back on a normal schedule.



These high temperatures could burn them out quick though and I just know they are bound to get smacked with snow again.



The big trumpet daffodils are open. 'King Alfred' perhaps.



More new crocus blooming later than the others. I'll guess Crocus vernus 'Jeanne d'Arc'



A split-cup daffodil with no name.



This means spring in these mountains, Allium triccocum. I need to buy some eggs.



The teeny tiny slightly out of focus Scilla siberica. It is a wonder it can even push through the leaf litter.



I think we have another no name split-cup daffodil. They must have come from another catalog.



You can see the Puschkinia from the kitchen window now.



They still favor being accompanied outside during daylight hours. Under the cover of darkness I have trouble getting them back inside for the night, especially now that it is warm and the creatures are stirring even more.



The ridge top garden certainly looks like it should for this time of year. It just feels most odd to be wandering around out there in my undermost layer, plain white cotton t-shirt and not be enveloped in the green wildness. At least I wasn't sweating while raking out the paths. I know where they are, but it helps any visitors who may stop in for a stroll to know where to walk.



The resident gardeners return has been delayed this year for a few weeks for knee replacement surgery. I hope they are duly impressed with the garden cleanup when they get here. You would really have to garden here to notice the difference. It's now tidy look could still shock real clean freaks. There are leaves all over the place and I may have missed a few sticks.



This surgery delay has had another unexpected effect. The 82 year old Bulbarella is learning how to use the computer so she can see her bulbs while playing nurse maid to the Building Contractor.



The power of flowers is awesome.

11 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Flowers can convey so much power and meaning. I hope the surgery goes well and they are back with you in no time. Crawford likes that hot weather. Most Easters I worry that it won't be warm enough to force some blooms. This year I am worrying that it will be too hot and all the blooms will give up. Maybe I should learn not to worry about things I can't control. Happy Easter. I hope you have a wonderful weekend wandering around on the mountain looking for Easter eggs.

Lola said...

All is looking great. I guess that temp is freaking you out as it's not normal for this time of yr there. Here, Yeah.
That split daff sure is new to me. I like it.
Crawford, looking regal & content sure is a good looking fellow.
Hope the surgery & recovery is swift so they can return to their beloved mtns. BTW the gardens look magnificent.
Have you heard of Tea Olive & English Dogwood?

Lola said...

BTW, Sorry, I forgot to wish you HAPPY EASTER. Try not to get carried away looking for all those eggs.lol

Anonymous said...

Your white crocus looks like my Jeanne d'Arcs, including the touch of purple on some of their necks. (Not that I could recognize any other variety....)

When I lived in the Big City, there was a house near me with a lawn covered in some old variety of dark blue scillas.

Joyous Easter.
Julie in Henderson Co.

sallysmom said...

Gosh, when did the first daffodil open? Now here the mountain is quickly becoming covered.
My mom learned to use the computer at 75 out of necessity also. Now, she loves it. Have a really nice Easter.
Sallysmom

Christopher C. NC said...

Happy Easter everyone.

Lisa I do worry a bit about this surgery at his age, but he passed all the qualifying tests. This coming week is going to be a bit cooler, not much. When it gets hot the daffodils fade quickly.

Lola there is a Tea Olive, Osmanthus at the Florida house that must be 80 years old. A gangly shrub, but nice fragrant winter bloomer. The English Dogwood here suckers horribly and hardly blooms. I think the one in Florida sulks a bit. Be sure to get a good cultivar.

Julie without the catalog I couldn't identify anything by cultivar. Up here Bulbarella is making a determined effort to have a carpet of the Spanish Bluebells, Hyacinthoides hispanica.

Sallysmom the first daffodil opened on March 30th. This heat wave has brought them back to a normal schedule it seems. Now it needs to cool back down.

Gail said...

The warm temps have been strange and the bulbs are melting, melting. I love the split cup daff and will try to locate a name so I can greedily add it to my garden.

I do hope all goes well with your dad's surgery~~They will have him up and moving almost immediately after he leaves recovery...Amazing!

Happiest of Easters to you all on the mountain.

gail

Anonymous said...

That's funny about your mom and the computer. Necessity is the mother of invention! At least she has your excellent photos to console her. From what my orthopod husband says it's not the knee surgery that's tough, it's the rehab.....your dad likes to be active so that will motivate him.
Crawford is VERY cute.

bev

Siria said...

Happy Easter Christpher! Your gardens are beautiful with all the blooming bulbs everywhere. One of these days I will come and see it in person. I know Bulbarella would be proud to see her gardens so well kept while she is away. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to the Building Contractor!

Dirty Girl Gardening said...

the power of flora is incredible.... great shots!

Jeannie B. said...

I am new to your blog so don't know the story on the garden but just want to say the woods look like a magical place. So Beautiful.