Saturday, April 24, 2010

Yes, We Still Have Daffodils

We have other things too. I am guessing this is one of three very happy PJM rhododendrons. They have a smaller leaf and bloom earlier than most of the other rhododendron varieties, of which we have plenty. Those will be blooming in a few weeks.



But before the main rhododendron show, many of the deciduous azaleas of which we have plenty in a rainbow of colors, start blooming. This pink one is usually the first to bloom. This earlier bloom time does have its perils. It is not uncommon for the blooms to be zapped by snow or freezing weather. This spring is almost freakish in its lack of a final winter blast. Knock on wood. Knock, knock.



The Bulbapaloozathon is indeed over. But as you stroll the ridge top garden there are still a number of fresh looking late blooming daffodils.



The last daffodils linger



While the next bulb explosion gets ready. The millions of Hyacinthoides hispanica are showing the very first blossoms. Soon waves of blue, pink and white bells will weave through the forest floor.



The rock signals entry to a different garden. The violets have finally showed up in the wild forest. They came late this year and are a bit sparser. Mingled with all the other spring ephemerals, the violets are not as uplifting, when alone they really signal the first breath of spring.



I traveled down to witness the opening of the red Trillium erectum.



And to document the half bred Anemone quinquefolia. If you enlarge the picture by clicking on it and look close, you can just make out the lavender stripe on the lower petal. All the petals are striped like that. My camera's macro focus just isn't that great. The leaves are a mottled green and maroon, half and half of the other two. Are there any Anemone quinquefolia experts out there?



I was doing some regular political blog reading the other day when my jaw dropped. I totally recognize this View From Your Window.

No not my view. My view has never made the cut. Many of you have read me whining about this before.



It was the wonderful Pam's view from Tales from the Microbial Laboratory who muses about life from a 1973 Airstream Land Yacht.



If the garden outside your window is full of magic and mystery, any house, no matter how small or how spacious, how grand or how plain or new or old, can feel like the place you are meant to be.

10 comments:

lisa said...

That's exactly how I feel about my place right now! :)

Lola said...

Love the pics of the flowers whether they be shrubs, trees or bulbs.
Words could not be any truer. It makes one choke up.

Siria said...

Your sentiments are so very true! And I love the view from your window.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher;

You got me intrigued so I googled anemone quinquefolia and got some references to flowers being "pinkish" or "flushed with pink" and leaves as "purplish when young" or "rarely purple". Here are a couple links:
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/anemonequin.html

http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/bigphoto.asp?bigphoto=ANEQUIvQUI_MRB.jpg&taxon=Anemone%20quinquefolia%20L.%20var.%20quinquefolia&phog=Merel%20R.%20Black&spcode=anequivqui

Hope the second one works; it looks awful long! Its a photo.

bev

Pam said...

Hey, are you going to submit your view again? I think you should.

chuck b. said...

Is that your amazing rock with the garden on top?

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa when you spend tons of time outside, inside is just a place to use the facilities.

Lola I have seen my folks house as just a fancy garden shed. They really came here to garden more than anything else.

Siria there really is something about digging in the dirt that connects you to a place. It's a pretty nice view. Shame I don't have that one at the cabin. My tendency to wander around should solve any problem though.

Thank you Bev, I think that solves it. There is high variablity in the species and as usual I've got it all here. The southern Appalachians really are a genetic repository.

Pam of course I sent it in again. I think the stars have to align with the mood that the assistant who chooses them, Chris Bodenner is in.

Chuck that is "The Rock" and yes there are all kinds things growing on top. Maybe I need to do a heavy seeding of one item on there for fun.

Anonymous said...

Chris, you do have a view. It's all around you. There are days I would give everything I have to have your view for just one day.
Sallysmom

Christopher C. NC said...

Sallysmom that is very true. I spend way more time looking at and enjoying what's in front of me than staring out into the distance.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I love looking out the windows this time of year. Something new most every day.