Thursday, April 15, 2010

Other Bloom Day Matters

Choosing a stain for the wood elements inside the cabin has proven more difficult than anticipated. As a result I ended up back in town again today for a second try at a stain color. That was fine. It gave me a chance to stop by Client #1's and water the new plantings. There is no irrigation system and this direct move into summer has come without atmospheric water.

The varmint missed this foreground section of tulips and they have made it to bloom. There should be tulips in the Creeping Jenny and the bare mulch spot where the Moonbeam Coreopsis is starting to come up. There should be tulips stem to stern.



These look pretty good though. The dianthus was just added to match the planting on the other side of the entry for when the tulips fade away in the heat of no spring.



This I suppose is what Kerria japonica should look like. This is the first time I have ever seen it look other than a ratty spindly half dead horribly suckering shrub that might consider a few sparse blooms. All I can say is that the ground level haircut I gave it last year must have done it good.



Wood stain dilemmas: The lovely brochures from the store are next to useless in matching colors and are no indication of what the store actually has in stock. They won't even order things from the stain color brochure if it is not on the shelves. What fun navigating that quagmire.

Golden Oak (on the left) that looked like a good match on the brochure was so not the cabinet color. Cherry is on the right next to the raw wood color. Looks much beter. And look at those lovely tiles that will be my floor.



The second stain attempt Cherry (on the left) is an exact match to the lightest tone in the cabinet.



The stain color is chosen. It will be cherry. But they don't sell it in one gallon buckets only in pints and they won't order it because, ah they'd have to buy a whole case. WTF?



There you have it folks, the tile floor, the kitchen cabinets and the stain color for all the wood ceilings, loft floors and cross beams. Now I just need to stain the wood and install the tile floor.

4 comments:

Kitty said...

It will be lovely. Cherry always is my favorite, so I am particularly partial to you choice. :-)

Anonymous said...

It's perfect, Christopher! Nice warm tones for the winter when you will be spending a little more time inside. The Client garden looks quite good in spite of the critter damage. Are those lily flowered tulips? I love 'em! :-)
Frances

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kitty! Nice to have it all decided. LOL re the store - as my husband likes to say, "and these people vote!" (:

bev

Christopher C. NC said...

Kitty I am thinking it will look pretty sharp. The drywall will be painted a strong color, undetermined at this point, to tie it all together.

I will be inside a bit more in the winter I suppose Frances with a good view from the computer desk. I am fairly certain the skinny petal, yellow, green, pink ones are the Green or Viridiflora tulips.

Bev your husband sounds like my father.