Thursday, December 1, 2011

Aiming For The Shortest Day

There's not much light or warmth left by the time I get home these days. I'm lucky to be able to wander around for a bit before the dark sets in. The sun now hides behind Hebo Mountain across the scenic byway around 4pm and puts my world in the cold shade before the sun ever sets. It could be worse. There are folds in these mountains that may not see any direct sunshine at all right now.

Miss Collar and I wandered down to the Creation to have a look. I either need to come up with a planting plan of short things that like wet feet or just mow what ever comes up and make a lawn of sorts. I want the Creation to be a bit more visible year round. The current tall flower meadow community swallows it alive in June.



The shortest day of the year is still weeks away. I am busy getting the last chores done and putting gardens to bed for the winter. Once that is all done then there might be more time to attend to all the chores that need doing around here.



"Look mama, there's a crazy man gardening out there in the dead of winter."

There is no other choice. Spring will arrive with a frenzy of work. I'm expecting a crowd up here in May which amounts to spring in these parts. I want the wild cultivated garden to look as good as a wild cultivated garden can.

3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh please make it so we can see the Creation during May. I look forward to seeing all.

Lola said...

Sun is always best for a jubilant heart but we must take the shade for rest.
It will all be fine in May. Sure wish I was able to see.
Maybe whacking down around the Creation would be best for now.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa sounds like you're planning to visit me. Sweet.

Lola I think whacking things down is the best and easiest choice for now too. In time it can get more elaborate.