Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Warm December Bloom Day

At this time of year chances of me having a live bloom of any sort are slim to none. I did have another warm sunny day in the middle of December. That alone is worth celebrating. I spent my day wiggling big rocks into place. I may not have any blooms, but I have made more progress on an actual defined flower bed.



The short dry stack section has begun. I need more rocks. They keep getting further and further away. There will be a lot more fetching in my future.



All I have is an empty flower bed in the wilderness for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. It will have flowers in it come spring. Maybe you better just go to Bloom Day headquarters now for a flower fix. I'll wander off and see if I can scrounge up something to compensate for my flowerless condition.



Would you believe I used up all the wine bottles people have been saving for me? I need about fourteen more. That shouldn't be too hard to accomplish over the holidays.



Hmm. What is this? Looks like a fresh green sprout. Maybe it is one of those extra Iris reticulata bulbs that fell out of the sack while I was planting bulbs somewhere. Not blooming yet. It is an early bloomer though. I hope this warm spell hasn't confused it.



Ok, this is my official Bloom Day entry. We can call it a rose flowered lichen.



I noticed the rock first of course. It's a fairly big one. I can wiggle it another day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that big rock with rose lichen.
Sallysmom

thistleandthorn said...

What Sallysmom said. That rock is a winner.

Lola said...

I agree. It sure is coming along.
Glad you have warm weather to be making this new flower bed. Come spring it will look gorgeous.

Christopher C. NC said...

I guess that means when I wiggle this rock out of the ground it will have to end up in a prominent location with the rose flowered lichen pointing up. I sure hope the bottom of this rock is flat.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It is great fun watching your walls stack up. It will be interesting to see what ends up blooming in this garden. Happy GBBD.

Andrea said...

It's nice to see the garden transitions through your seasons. It is interesting for me because we don't have them, as we only have the dry and the wet, and most of our vegetation stay on the ground all year unless they are killed by extreme hot temperatures. So this time that you are experiencing lack of colors, we are inviting you to roam our tropical gardens so you get more colors and warmth.

Anonymous said...

I love a new garden bed! Looking forward to seeing what goes in it - gives us yet another reason to dream of spring.....

bev