Friday, December 30, 2011

More Piles of Rubbish

Just when you think you are making headway against the collected piles of rubbish stashed around in various locations



My wood burning neighbor stops by.



Apparently he had been pimping out my dead hemlocks on the internet. Hemlocks are not for burning. They are like pines and have too much resin that can build up in the chimney when burned. My dead hemlocks were being traded.

Which one will we go after next.



Another neighbor very close by saw the internet ad. He wants to use the dead hemlocks to build himself another rental cabin I think. As a matter of fact if you'd like to come stay for a spell in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina, a bit outside of Clyde, NC, Three Bear Holler cabin rentals looks like a fine place to stay. It's just around the bend and across the valley from the low spot high on the mountain top. My newly met cabin building and renting neighbor seems like a most congenial fellow. In another year or two you could rent a cabin made with my dead hemlocks.



My dead hemlocks got traded for time with this machine for projects at my wood burning neighbor's house. He was kind enough to throw in some machine time for me. I had some really big rocks stashed off to the side in the initial road building and clearing phase way back when. I figured I would put them to use at some point. They are way too big for me to even wiggle. I am going to have them moved to more visible and decorative locations along the upper section of the drive.



My wood burning neighbor traded off my dead hemlocks. I get some major tree work done for free and a little rock moving too. They either had to go or they were quickly going to rot and start coming down on their own. I can't tell you how many dead hemlocks I have seen crash to the ground. It's not always pretty. Now the ones closest to the cabin and potentially the most dangerous are gone. I have a little more wiggle room for the rest to come crashing to the ground. And they will.

After all the dead hemlock logs are gone there will be a mess to clean up. I'll make another pile of rubbish for burning. Most of it thankfully will be left to rot in place.



I'll clean up the mess that's left and make a pile of rubbish. That seems fair to me. The hard work has been done. Eventually the pile of rubbish will just be another white spot of ash. It's all good. What goes around comes around.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ash is good for the soil, isn't it?
Sallysmom

Christopher C. NC said...

Yes it is Sallysmom and I have contemplated scooping it up and putting it in the roadside vegetable garden. Charcoal and ash is a high component of Terra Preta.

Dianne said...

We still have live Hemlocks. I know it is just a matter of time, but I can hope. You are making such great progress.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Sounds like the perfect trade. Moving those big rocks is fate accompli.

Lola said...

Good trade I say. A shame most of the Hemlocks can't be harvested & put to good use.

Siria said...

I have a mess in my forest that needs cleaning up. You are so fortunate to have made this "trade"! It is looking great!