Sunday, December 11, 2011

Expanding The Empty Space

Day two of forest clearing saw the expansion of the garden to be. One day there will be a woodland path bordered with shrubberies that will wrap completely around the ridge line and reemerge from the forest on the opposite side of the cabin by the front door. One day.



Panning to the left you can see how this slope relates to the back of the cozy cabin. You might also notice the rather distinct snow melt line. The direction the slope faces in these parts has dramatic environmental impacts.



No more trees came down in this section. This was an exercise in organizing piles of rubbish. Ample dead fall and trees that had come down during the initial phase of construction were shuffled to new locations for burning or decomposition. The forest is messy whether I take out trees or not. The amount of trees, branches and limbs that fall on their own is rather substantial. The forest always needs some tidying up.



The piles of wood for my wood burning neighbor are stacking up. That's only four trees in that pile. The shorter length main trunk pieces are in another stack.



I did take out another maple along the drive that had a bad lean into my internet satellite dish's field of reception. Best to take it out now before it got any bigger. There are just two trees in this pile.



Wood, wood, wood. There's more wood in this forest than you can shake a stick at.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had all those trees. My old house had beautiful, very old, oak trees. This house has pines. Ugh!
Sallysmom

Christopher C. NC said...

Sallysmom there are quite a number of little baby trees I have left at this point, oaks being one of them. This is mostly a group of maples, tulip poplars and locust. I want to up the diversity. I hope I didn't accidentally behead my baby Big Leaf Magnolia. Fingers crossed.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I can't imagine the amount of limb drop from the remaining trees. I only have 5 trees and they litter the ground constantly. Ha.. I won't complain to you about picking up sticks. I can almost see your vision. It will be marvelous. You can see the micro climate around your cabin. WOW.

Lola said...

Looking good Christopher. That limb drop is something else. I only have one {dying} oak, that needs to come out. Dropping limbs from it are so bothersome. I did pick them up so brother could mow on Fri. Acorns abound. There isn't many squirrels to eat them so they lie on the ground. They do roll under one's feet. lol
I too can envision your garden to be. It will be something to see.