Sunday, December 4, 2011

Up A Ways

I looked at the county topo map to figure out that the cozy cabin is 85 feet lower in elevation than the top of the low spot. That extra height and a little tree thinning makes a world of difference in the view. I can wander over there anytime for a look, but the comforts of home are no longer there. It makes it more of an effort.

Looks like something is headed this way.



I do have reason to ascend those 85 feet in elevation and will continue to have reason on plenty of occasions. Today's main activity after an hour spent picking up sticks in the ridge top garden was to put a vent guard on the vent pipe near the bottom of the roof. It has been ripped right off the roof once by sliding snow. Handy doesn't want to repair that pipe again. That little gizmo is supposed to cut and part the snow around the pipe as it slides down the roof.



My vent pipe is at the bottom of the roof too. Made sense to get two of these vent guards. I have seen the snow slide off my metal roof as a single, nearly intact piece. All that moving snow has got to have some weight and force behind it. It lands with a big thud.



I probably need to stock the pantry a little bit better first, but now I am ready for the big one. I want to see if these vent guards work. Those two pieces of metal and a handful of screws were outrageously expensive, $60 bucks each. They better work.

6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Gosh, I have seen those snow slicers all across the roof of some homes. An expensive necessity.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I looked at the snow slicers for the whole roof. I would have had to have two staggered rows on both sides of the two roofs. They are only about $6 each. Just need a really big sack of em. I didn't want to see that on my roof all year though. I want a gargoyle up there. Maybe a metal lightning rod spiky ball thing, not snow slicers.

Lola said...

I've never seen those before. Sure hope they work. Like your idea of what to put there.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I can totally see a gargoyle perched on the front end of the lower roof just above the front porch roof and half circle window.

Fairegarden said...

Hope they work, and oh yes to the gargoyle.
xo

Anonymous said...

Love the gargoyle idea! Hope you were careful on the ladder all alone!

bev