Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Day Of Varmints

The phone call this morning meant success.




















Crawford disappeared at about the exact same time this varmint began terrorizing all the potted plants on Bulbarella's deck. For close to two months she would wake up every morning to another plant dug up and cast aside in the search for snacks in the dirt. When the green cherry tomatoes began to get chewed up and spit out it was time for me to take action. I didn't want to hear about it anymore.

Was this varmint responsible for Crawford's disappearance or the result of him disappearing? There is no way to know for sure. The trap is reset tonight in case there are more. The corn worked great as bait. Maybe I'll even get me some sweet corn from the roadside vegetable garden this year.
 
I hope ten miles is far enough.




















We simply couldn't have a wild varmint wreaking havoc on the decks on a nightly basis anymore. There were new babies coming that needed a little protection to get them off to a good start.

Meet Dina. Not fond of that name, but she is Bulbarella's kitty and that name is in the book she is currently reading. Maybe the next book will have a better name.




















Grey, white and black. I have never seen this combo in a cat before. She purrs and is not afraid of people at all, unlike the last two wild kitties I brought in from the wilderness and raised.


























This is Button. Goes with Collar. I only wanted one he kitty. When I said I had been to the shelter to pick one out, Bulbarella said she wanted one too, a girl kitty. Button had two sisters with him. Two new kitties was plenty. Sorry sister number two.

For now they are living with Bulbarella inside until they are properly bonded. This is already so much easier than it was before. When they are bigger supervised outdoor time can begin. Button is already showing a very good skill base with his fake mouse. Most impressive.




















I was washing dishes at the kitchen sink when there was a loud crash at the window. This poor Ruffed Grouse slammed into the house and broke its neck.




















Beautiful bird. He died quick.


























Just like the plant life, the animal species up here are rather abundant. We pretty much have them all. Someone is going to need to help the new babies figure this all out.

Miss Collar has met the new babies. She kept a close eye on them and hissed if they hopped too close. That was a good start. I didn't see any signs of impending aggression. Getting Miss Collar to bond with them is going to be a whole order of magnitude more challenging. She's a wild thing.


















And at the end of the day I cleaned out the nest in the glove box of my truck and put glue traps inside the cab. Three cats is plenty, but even that is not enough to catch all the vermin we have around here. We do good just to keep things tamped down a notch.


11 comments:

Lola said...

Glad you caught one of the varmints. Happy there will be more fur babies to love & keep you company. Not happy about the bird. They are pretty. Miss Collar seems displeased but she will adapt to the new ones.
My new fur baby is getting closer every day. She likes to lay in my lap now & be petted.

Anonymous said...

Awww, what sweeties! Glad you rescued some cats; my local shelter is so overwhelmed that all cats are free till the end of the summer. Unfortunately my dog would regard a kitty with a jaundiced eye. Can't wait to see updates when they explore the great outdoors.

bev

Fairegarden said...

Oh my, Dina is such a beauty with those colors! Already purring and not afraid, Button already being a mouser, it is all good. Glad you trapped that raccoon, too. Poor grouse, but such beautiful feathers. Maybe they could be used to mark a gravesite. I hope your truck will no longer be someone's home, too. Lots of critters up there. Thanks for the babies, I brought them home and they look fabulous. Now to decide where to plant them...

xo
F

sallysmom said...

Oh, my, how precious! My sweet kitty died 2 years ago. She was 12. I haven't been able to bring myself to get another. Miss Collar is the matriarch (is that how you spell it). She will whip them into shape.

Gail said...

Kittens sure are cute and Dina and Button are adorable. We have a terrible chipmunk problem and wish we could have a kitty (or a fox) to patrol the garden. Our street is too busy and we've never been able to convince a cat to not try to cross it. Good luck with the raccoons~they are also trouble making visitors here.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

That racoon could very well be why Crawford disappeared. I bet Crawford was trying to protect you and got himself into trouble. Racoons severely injured my Sister's 50pound dog. They can be fierce.

What cute kittens. I know they will acclimate your life. What fun.

Poor grouse. I haven't seen a grouse in years. They are about extirpated from Indiana.

Les said...

Not to be crass, but my heritage makes me ask if you made use of the grouse?

Christopher C. NC said...

Les I made use of the grouse for a photo op. I did ask if we might want to utilize the bird further and got a resounding no. A childhood with chickens in the depression was enough. It was a hefty bird. I am sure some varmint will make use of it. Nothing goes to waste.

Les said...

Shame, I hear it is good with a blackberry sauce.

Siria said...

Love the additions to your family!!!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Cute kitties, I miss having a cat. The dogs are enough wildlife for now.
I am always sad when I hear a bird hit the windows. I have buried a few each year.