Saturday, July 14, 2012

Joe Pye in July

It seems a bit early. I don't expect Joe Pye to arrive until August.




















Joe's relation, Boneset, Eupatorium perfoliatum has also arrived in July. Joe and Boneset are both self sowing in abundance. Not necessarily where I want them sowing, so some rearranging will be in order.


























I will just assume this is the proper time for Eryngium yuccifolium. It too is happy enough to make plenty babies that can be spread around. If I am going to have a tall flower meadow, I will have some say so in its membership. Now if the blue Eryngium bannaticus would be so promiscuous I would be most happy.


























I think Joe Pye and the Eryngium could be added to the upper slope tall flower meadow. There's a whole bunch of Stella d' Boro daylilies that landed in there from the original road grading long ago. They can go to the compost pile to make a little more room.


























I do wonder at times am I really organizing it or just adding to the chaos? At a minimum I am getting more flowers and a longer bloom season.

3 comments:

Sensible Gardening said...

Joe Pye weed as we call it. Some weed I say! Great plant and the bees love it too.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Longer blooming season is what we shoot for. I found some Iron Weed blooming yesterday. Way early for that too.

Lola said...

Very lovely even tho it's early. I do love surprises. Seems all is early this yr. Strange weather.
The Stella D'oreo that is becoming a problem sure would be appreciated as none here.