Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pakalolo

I heard the helicopter overhead both days as I was leaving for work. When I got home I was told a helicopter had been buzzing around in circles for hours. They must be looking for pakalolo. Maybe, but there are any number of other possible explanations. It certainly can't be easy looking for weed from way up there with all these weeds way down here. The Lush is five feet tall at this point.




















The second day I was told the helicopter hovered for quite some time right in Bulbarella's view off the deck. That would put the helicopter right about here in the new hole in the forest where my dead hemlocks used to be. Some people might find multiple large piles of horse shit and a new big open sunny spot in the forest of interest.




















But come on man. Does Hale Mana look like the kind of cozy cabin where someone would be growing pakalolo? Sure the profuse number of flowers hints at signs of gardening and monumental stone creations may indicate an ethereal artistic bent, but pakalolo. No way.




















A bountiful roadside vegetable garden doesn't mean the owner has the munchies either.

My Long Island Cheese squash has finally set a fruit that looks like a keeper after multiple abortions. I was beginning to worry I wasn't going to get a thing from all this rampant vine growth. I planted a small pumpkin too and it is having the same troubles holding onto fruit. I have no idea what the problem is. The Thelma Sanders Sweet Potato squash is making plenty squash.


























The zucchini are doing what zucchini do. They are like the weeds around here, unstoppable.




















The first red tomato is ready for harvest. I am expecting an extended tomato season since I planted another row nearly a month later.

There is no weed in my roadside vegetable garden. The herbs are for culinary, not medicinal purposes. No pakalolo here.


























It was on the Asheville news tonight. There was a pot bust in Haywood County. The helicopters found four grow sites including places in Fines Creek and Turkey Creek. Fines Creek is the closest named place to me. Turkey Creek is the stream in the cove directly below me and would be where my little stream feeds into.




















Damn revenuers! This madness needs to stop. It is an absolute failure and waste of my tax dollars. Let the people have their weed.

Sometimes I wish the world would just keep on driving and pass me by.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have the pot copters flying over here too. They made a big bust last month, and too close to our land for comfort. It is usually planted on Gov land and often no gardener is found. My veggie garden is not doing so well. Too many weeds. The tomatoes have started ripening. The rabbits got the green beans. The Squash/Zuchinni started with a big bang and then quit. Peppers are great. Okra too. The corn has a few ears with blond hair. When I was a child, I would sneak into the corn field and get ears with different color hair and use them for dolls. Cucumbers are not producing much but we have already had new potatoes. Did I mention weeds......

Dianne

Christopher C. NC said...

Mulch is a wonderful thing in the vegetable garden Dianne. No tilling. Just the slow soil building luxury of decomposition.

Lola said...

Dang planes. Around here too. I cleaned up my yellow tomato plant & it's started blooming again. Maybe I'll get more yellow maters. No squash, borers got to them even tho I planted in pots. Rats.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I am having a much better year without all the sunflowers. Still have troubles with the cucumber wilt though.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Wouldn't it be fun to have a picture of your property from above like that? You ought to ask them to give you one of the pictures they took of your property. :) I bet it is as pretty from above as it is from ground level.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Let people be! Agreed.

Cheryl K. said...

If there were a "like" button, I would have hit it for Lisa's comment!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are having a time between the animal and human varmints. As for your flowers, you've heard of flower children, and you know what they do. Can you blame the revenuers?!

bev

Barry said...

Auwe, Chris, if only the "mixmaster gone Jesus" [Vanuatuan pidgin expression for helicopter] had scared off those raccoons! One should tread carefully at the outer reaches of the surrounding terrain, lest signs of pakalolo cultivating be detected. Those seeds aren't windborne or carried by wildlife, so far as I've read.