Saturday, August 11, 2012

Before And After

You think you have weeds? I bet my weeds are bigger and healthier than your weeds.




















It was time to start up the weed whacker if I was going to have any ability to consider this chaos a garden much less be able to make my way through it.




















A little definition helps and I begin to contemplate the nature of negative space in the overall scheme of a garden. Should there be more negative space, as in more lawn like space? I did set aside an area closer to the road for an oval shaped "lawn". Lawn just means I'll whack whatever comes up. Doing that tends to favor grasses.




















For now I will be satisfied with just being able to walk the garden becoming. I can dabble at pulling the unwanted when I stroll through.


























I also contemplate respectable paths meaning a path a minimum of three feet wide. Respectable paths will add to the structure and add to the amount of negative space. That is hard to accomplish on a steep slope with out a retaining wall.




















The tall flower meadow towers above my head and I contemplate what the hell do you think you're doing? Could you make this any harder on yourself? This is madness.




















No, this is an experiment, a life long experiment in respecting the 'aina. There is no hurry. I am here for the duration.

11 comments:

Cheryl K. said...

"my weeds are bigger and healthier than your weeds." - that sounds like fightin' words... We might have to get an impartial judge to come over here and look at our "wildflower meadow".

Christopher C. NC said...

Cheryl I am 5'11" and in several places my weeds are a foot over my head. I'd have to see your wildflower weeds in person to see if they compare.

Lola said...

Boy, your weeds sure are bigger & healthier. Mine are wimps compared to yours. Do you have a Rattlesnake Orchid & does it bloom? I had some on our place. How about False Foxglove?

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I have a lot of the Rattlesnake Plantain orchid. It is more in the shade of the forest. Not sure what False Foxglove is.

Carol Michel said...

You win the bet. Your weeds are bigger, healthier and happier than any I've ever seen. I am now going to go out and get rid of my puny, sickly, sad weeds, quite happily knowing I could have yours!

Dianne said...

Your.weeds.may.be.even.taller.than.mine...Hard.to.judge.as.I.am.only.5'3".
Mine.look.like.a.jungle....Have.you.posted.a.picture.of.the.Rattlesnake.Plantain.orchid?..I.use.your.pics.for.
identification....Sorry.about.the.punctuation...My.spacebar.chooses.when.and.if.it.works.

Judith said...

It's been so hot and droughty here in SW Missouri that even the weeds are dried up and half dead.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your weeds are definitely bigger than mine. I wouldn't know where to begin in your garden. I am glad you can see it in the future. I will be happy to see it in the future too.

Fairegarden said...

Lifelong journey. Yes to that.

Barry said...

Weedwacking gets'er done, and you don't have to master the mysterious scythe swing technique. I agree about the three foot width of paths. One "hikes" on narrow paths, but wider paths invite strolls, alone or accompanied.
Completely off-topic and hoping not to veer into interlocutorville, but I saw a post in The Contrary Farmer blog about the effectiveness of marshmallows for bait in the Havahart. Gene has a lot of wisdom in his writings, too.

Christopher C. NC said...

Carol I am sure my weeds are always bigger than your suburban weeds.

Dianne you should be able to google rattlesnake plantain /outside clyde and get one of my pictures.

Judy B I'll take my big weeds over your heat and drought.

Lisa I start by targeting a few species and ignore all others.

Frances genetically I have a chance at 40 more years.

Pomaika'i I have no intention of relocating vermin. Death is the only option. Unless you mean the larger varmints. Four foot wide paths would be even better and I have room and semi-flat for some of those.