Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Next Round Of Color

The colors of late summer are filling in. Each new day brings more intensity as the denizens of the tall flower meadow come into bloom.


























Ironweed and Goldenrod are great companions.




















More and more Joe Pye adds to the scene.




















I amble through on my way to a slow morning in the roadside vegetable garden. It's last call for seeding for a fall garden. I do some tidying and manage to find space for more.




















Today's harvest was good. I even grew my first tiny pumpkin. The seed package said up to 20 pounds. I got that.




















My Long Island Cheese squash is looking much more impressive. I'm only getting the one though unless a smaller one that set starts to grow.




















Next I decided to pull a few weeds and it got out of hand. I had never planted anything here except for the lone Erica or heather. It was mostly the tall fescue grass used for erosion control during construction which I have been slowly eliminating. Thank goodness it doesn't set a lot of seed. I needed a space for the baby Clematis stans that came from Fairegarden, TN.

I first sent the Clematis stans to Tennessee and now it is coming back to me. It will join the already mature and beautifully blooming clematis on this slope on the opposite side of a path.




















I'll keep weeding and more and more of the tall flower meadow will start to look like this. If I am going to be having grasses, it certainly won't be an unmowed lawn grass like tall fescue.




















Not when I can have grasses like this popping out of the tall flower meadow with a bold dash of color.


4 comments:

Lola said...

Autumn colors are pretty. Love that "purple". Veggies look good. Hope the last planting does good. Love those grasses. Some of mine are blooming. Still waiting to see if Pink Muhly will give me some blooms.
Persimmons are ripening. Had my 1st the other day. Gooooood.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Ironwweed is one of my favorite colors, love it with the Goldenrod.

Fairegarden said...

The ironweed and goldenrod were pioneer plants here, both very, very tall varieties. Those and the tall white eupatoriums and asters make a nice buffet for the pollinators and look pretty. I used to pull them all as weeds. Good deal on the baby stans. I have transplanted some to other areas and more keep popping up in the gravel paths. I never had seedlings before this year. Tall fescue is uninteresting, I pull it in the lawn meadow to make a planting hole for asters, fleabane and Verbena bonariensis. Your cheese pumpkin is impressive!
xo
F
Thanks for the linkage!

Cheryl K. said...

The cabin looks cozy indeed in your beautifully framed photo.