Friday, August 10, 2012

Buzzing About The Garden

I am willing to share some of our rain. Things barely have time to dry out before the next down pour rolls through. The tall flower meadow doesn't mind it though. You can see I am making progress on the addition of more color, but before it's all over, all that green will turn yellow and blue.


















The Gloriosa Daisies have been blooming for an exceptionally long time. They are a weak perennial that are good about self sowing. I won't have much say in where they show up or what color combo I'll get. They go from pure yellow to a deep burnt orange.




















Cool is coming with lows in the mid 50's. I still have plans for more warm season produce from the roadside vegetable garden. I hope it is of short duration and we have a long Indian summer. There is a second sowing of sweet corn growing and I have squash and more cucumbers just now germinating. I should just give up on the cucumbers. They keep getting the wilt.

I planted lettuce, radish, cauliflower and kale for the fall garden. I should try some fall sugar snap peas. Can't let an empty row go to waste.




















I buzz through the garden for a few brief minutes inbetween work and the rain. It just goes about its business without me.


4 comments:

Dianne said...

We are going through our second storm for the evening with an inch and a half of rain so far. We are over 5 and a half for the month and down by the river, they actually got 5 inches in a storm that came through Sunday. We were in Hot Springs and got home before the major deluge. My husband keeps grading the road and it washes away again. Everything is very green and I count my lucky stars that we are not in a drought like more than half the country

Lola said...

In pic #1, is that a bee just to the top left of the bloom? I'm glad you are getting some wet stuff. Too much here. The roadside garden sounds like it's doing great. Nice you could start more produce. So far just beets here. Anxious to see how the sweet potato does in a big container. Forget the ground, it's everywhere. lol

Christopher C. NC said...

Dianne this is plenty rain for sure, but in many ways it is totally normal. I'd have to research, but I bet we are close to average annual overall.

Lola I am sure Florida is happy with a wet year. Things had been drying up down there. Yep, that's a black bumblebee in the top left.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'd like to buy some rain from you!

bev