Thursday, August 2, 2012

It Takes Me Away

There is a single form tuberose blooming on my front porch right now. They also come in a double petaled form. The scent is intoxicating. I inhale and am transformed back to Maui, a lei around my neck. I can detect a faint scent of the ocean and feel the cool trade wind breezes. It takes me away. Thanks Deb.


























Just off the front porch the hibiscus have started to bloom. Two decades of memories wash over me like an incoming tide.




















The scent of a flower has unusual powers.

5 comments:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Love the fragrance of blooms on the breeze and the memories they conjure.

Lola said...

I have the dbl tuberose. I also did have the other one but it died. The scent is intoxicating. Mine has only bloomed 1 time. Maybe I need to change the soil. My crepe myrtle is blooming now. So pretty. It is amazing how the scent of a flower can take you away, memories flooding back to remind us of a sweeter time.
Enjoy my friend.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It is amazing how scent can transport us. These are beautiful blooms as well.

Barry said...

Ah, the memories - enjoy the good ones. Perhaps the highly virulent strain of reverse apartheid and selfdestructive antisocial behaviors will run its course, too, and the lovely tuberoses will remain. Along with the lavender, plumeria, maile, and da kine. I'll miss them, not the other stuff.

Christopher C. NC said...

Pomaika'i I will say I was noticing an increasing amount of anger in the youngest generation of locals when I was leaving. It was hard to understand what was causing it.

I take it you are moving on?