Saturday, March 26, 2016

A Walk In The Garden

Eight years and nine months later, it is beginning to look like something of substance, perhaps even intriguing. This is the time of the year, with nose pressed to ground, searching, searching, is it up yet? Now where did I plant that? I know I planted it here. At least I think I did. I guess it isn't awake yet.





















I spent a beautiful morning house cleaning. Company was coming to visit. When I was satisfied, I headed outside to begin what I really wanted to do, chop down the tall grasses. Gone.





















I was just about to start the last of them when my guest arrived. No worries. They can come down tomorrow. We had a guest for the Bulbapaloozathon. That is way better than chopping down grasses.





















Spring starts short in the herbaceous department. That is why the meadow and wild flowers get chopped down before things wake up. It is no fun looking at vibrant new life in a field of five foot high dead brown sticks.

The concept of layering is gaining new attention in landscape design circles. What happens in the wild cultivated gardens is seasonal layering, short to tall, early spring until the killing frosts of autumn, a successive wave of bloom from a wide range of species sweeps across the mountain.





















Daffodils are the tallest item of early spring. I am excluding trees and shrubs here. This is about herbaceous perennials, though there are some self sowing annuals.





















Bulbarella has quite the assortment of daffodils.






















And a few chionodoxa.





















We walked slowly giving our guest a chance to take it all in. There is no need to hurry.





















That is puschkinia.





















This is Corydalis. Wow, it has been spreading quite a bit. Killing the lamium is doing wonders for the garden.





















She saw daffodils of every kind, kind she had never seen before. It was a perfect day for a walk in the garden.


2 comments:

Lola said...

Good to look for new growth.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

How exciting to have someone to share your bounty with. It makes it all worth while. I just love those lesser bulbs.