Monday, May 8, 2017

A Little Drama

As if my garden was not abnormal enough.





















And the winner of the big yellow pot competition is ......... Rheum palmatum var. tanguticum. That is Chinese Rhubarb in English. Big bold foliage, which if it is happy here can get twice this size, will provide a little drama in the garden. It has a freaky bloom spike too.





















I opted for a perennial plant instead of turning this into an annual chore. The rhubarb is rated to zone 5 and the pots are big enough that they should over winter without any problem. The real question is will they get enough sun to be satisfied?



























Big foliage is a very useful tool in the Lush of the wild cultivated gardens. With so much going on, it takes some heft to stand out in the crowd. I have planted the big leaved Rodgersia in a number of places. I found one this morning I had completely forgotten about.

It came to me as a half dried up discarded rhizome. It couldn't hurt to bring it home and plant it. It's tiny, but it lived. This is one of my previous plantings just waking up.





















Big foliage and contrasting textures break up the tiny leaf syndrome that comes with the dominance of the Asteraceae family that makes up the Tall Flower Meadow.





















The big round leaves of Darmera peltata are also beginning to rise. This leaf will quadruple in size from what it is at the moment.





















I picked up a little more drama at the nursery this morning for the smaller pots on the basement patio. Black Taro and Black and Blue Salvia. These are annuals. I can handle replanting a few pots every year.


1 comment:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

There are a couple of places in my garden that Black and Blue Salvia come back and reproduce. It was a fun fact to find. Your big leaved plants are interesting. I could use some big leaves. I have tried Rodgeria before and it didn't live. I think it is so pretty. I have tried to grow rhubarb before to no avail too. It is an interesting plant also with the red ribs and big leaves. I always thought it was the lack of sun it didn't live here. Good luck.