Tuesday, March 4, 2008

380

The monsoon let up right before sunset which allowed me to go wander the ridge top garden. I do believe I am getting just a bit tired of weather phenomena. A stretch of sunny days would be appreciated, even if they are on the cool side. It rained a lot. I don't know how much cause the rain gauge filled, then froze and cracked and no longer holds water.














The great bulb count has come to an end at 380 clumps of bulbs of just the Daffodil/Narcissus type foliage. It has degenerated into an impossible task. There's just gettin' to be too many to count.

In the last week the Crocus have begun to appear in great quantity as well. I was not expecting them because of the varmints. The resident gardener says her strategy to keep the tasty Crocus bulbs away from the critters is to plant them in the middle of the poisonous Daffodils.
















At this point I think they are completely surrounded whether they are right next to a Daffodil or not.

Some are showing color. I may have Daffodils for bloom day. If it's in a bulb catalog I might be able to ID it by its proper name.















The green clumps are getting to the point of being more visible. The hillside is really waking up. I hope the weather phenomena co-operates and there is not a repeat of last year's Great Easter Freeze. I want to see this hillside covered in in a sea of golden flowers as my reward for making it through the winter.














A little snow, some more freezing, a general coolness is fine. That may even be best so as not to rush them prematurely to bloom. Even cool rain is acceptable.














Because when it rains hard enough I have a little waterfall. Otherwise the tiny head waters of my tiny stream tend to sneak under the rocks.

6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am glad to see some lovely color on your mountain. I am glad not to see that your wall came tumbling down. It must be good and steady with all the rain, freeze thawing you have had this winter.

Christopher C. NC said...

Yep, the wall was still there when I checked during a brief break in the rain this afternoon. There was a little erosion on the hill around the edges where I have channeled the water around the cabin, but with this amount of rain I guess that is to be expected on a still unplanted hillside.

The patio floor is absorbing a tremendous amount of water. The whole hillside drains well and it can drain around, under and through the wall. It is certainly looking like the pressure can not build to the point of moving the wall.

chuck b. said...

"I don't know how much cause the rain gauge filled, then froze and cracked and no longer holds water."

Oh geez! Bummer. I just got a rain gauge this year and I really enjoy it.

chuck b. said...

Looks like you're going to have blooms well before Bloom Day!

Frances, said...

How wonderful a sightit will be when your hill bursts into bloom. I wish they would figure out a rain gauge that could take the freeze, even the plastic ones crack and the glass ones break. I try and remember to take them in when it is going to freeze but always forget. Even metal buckets with water will develop a crack in the freeze. If you find a good rain gauge let me know!
Frances at Faire Garden

lisa said...

I've been away too long! I'm glad your spring is springing...I'll try not to be jealous! ;-)