Friday, March 7, 2008

The First Daffodil

Yesterday it was just beginning to open.


















Today it is approaching full flower. While it still has a way to go to fully open, I am going to go out on a limb here and say this is a Cyclamineus Narcissi possibly 'February Gold'. If the petals reflex backwards that will be a good sign I am at least in the right group and that it is not a Trumpet Daffodil.

The weather diagnosis is calling for more snow tomorrow and 20 degrees by Sunday morning. I don't think it is in danger of having its petalooties froze off. It may just close up and wait for the next hint of warmish. I hope.














A very large patch of the Crocus vernus 'King of the Striped' is making its appearance in time for the next blast of cold.














Another sign of the changing times are the spring blooming Columbine that are showing up in more and more places.














This incredibly tiny bulb, the flower is no bigger than a small pea, is also a recent arrival.

















There are two of them in this picture, in the top left and bottom right. Very tiny. I think they may be Chionodoxa forbesii. There is also a small Snowdrop, Galanthus nivalis in the top right for comparison. The Snowdrops have seeded themselves quite well. The more I look the more I see, spread in all directions from the main patch. Many are just foliage. It must take them some time to reach blooming size.


















This is an unknown. The foliage looks different than anything else I have seen so far. I'm getting the feeling there will be a lot of surprises as things progress.


















The larger clumps of Crocus are fairly obvious,
















but I have been spotting Crocus in some strange places, places even the resident gardeners were not very likely to plant them.














So it seems you can grow Crocus despite the varmints after all.

6 comments:

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Don't you think Daffodil season is just about the best time in the garden? I think the mystery foliage plant is a species or species-type Daffodil. Of course, I could be sadly mistaken. Will be awaiting the resolution of this horticultural mystery.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've been busy, and haven't been wandering around - but now I see that you are definitely showing signs of spring. Wonderful.

The columbines will be gorgeous - I struggle with them here, get them to do okay for a few years, then they fade out. They are one of my favorites.

(I think the mystery plant is also a daffodil - I have some smaller ones that have foliage that looks quite similar - the foliage comes up, and I always think that nothing is going to happen - and then a small flower stalk appears).

Anonymous said...

Daffodil season is a wonderful time.

I love Columbines too... but I've never been able to keep 'em alive.

Christopher C. NC said...

Maybe you can tell I am excited about Daffodil season. That mystery foliage could be Dafffodils, particularly if they set seed and spread that way as well. Then again it could be something else.

The Columbines I know set seed and move about with a certain amount of assistance. How long an individual plant may last will have to be seen.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The firsts of the season are always much anticipated and greatly apprciated especially those daffodils. They are like trumpets of sunlight.

lisa said...

I think the mystery foliage is a fall-blooming crocus...proof will be the absence of bloom. Mine shoot up grasslike foliage in spring, and if I manage not to weed them out, then I get nice purple blooms in October.