Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Other Garden

I figured if things were popping out of the ground up here at 4000 feet, they had to be coming up down there Inside Clyde in the Pigeon River valley. It was probably time to go do the spring cleanup for my single client. Boy were things ever popping up.

It is a new experience for me to have to wait a full year to truly get to know a garden. All kinds of bulbs have come up, except for the 400 Tulips I planted last November. There are massive quantities of Tulips, Daffodils, Crocus, Hyacinth, and the Spanish Bluebells. A patch of Muscari that was just foliage all winter has begun to bloom. I really only saw the late fall, post first freeze remnants of the flowering perennials. I still have to wait to see what is really there.

I understand there are fall garden cleaners and spring cleaners. My client prefers spring to keep the plant's texture for winter interest and food and cover for wildlife.

The large front bed is all clean now and ready for spring. I know there is Cone Flower, Mallow, Baptisia, Daisy, Coreopsis, Perovskia, Phlox, Lysimachia, ferns, a couple of ornamental grasses, Iris and Daylily. I believe there is Helianthus and Joe Pye Weed. I'll find out what else is in there other than the shrubs over the spring and summer.














For now we have Crocus in bloom.



















There is a perennial bed of equal size on the other side of the office building with a pond and waterfall. The garden also includes beds that wrap the parking area that are comprised mostly of trees and shrubs.















More bulbs waking up in the front bed. It really does need to be cleaned of the dried remnants of last year's growth for the bulbs to show to maximum effect.













And this is what a happy Helleborus is supposed to look like. I get it now, before I had been largely unimpressed.














My next project should be some mulching while I wait to see what happens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful hellebores! Yes, it is happening here also. I may actually have snowdrops in the next day or so!

Anonymous said...

Oh, those hellebores. My MIL in England loves hers but I never really understood how beautiful they were until I saw your photo. Can't grow them down here, of course.

Christopher C. NC said...

I guess something that will grow in the shade and can bloom like that in late winter must have its charms. The foliage is nice too, though the older foliage does get ragged over the winter.