Wednesday, March 5, 2008

From Out of Nowhere

The weather diagnosis did not call for the light dusting of snow that was on the ground when I woke up this morning. Ask and you shall receive I suppose. It melted quickly once the sun came up despite the dense fog and the frozen water that continued to be hurled to the ground for a good part of the morning.















The fog eventually lifted, the sun slowly came out, the skies cleared and the rigid water ceased falling. It was beginning to look possible for the diagnosed high of 56 to be achievable. I wandered outside in a newly warming day and a new phenomena greeted me. In the bright sun, the forest trees had begun to shed the ice that had encased them during the night and frozen blobs were being hurled to the ground once more. This interaction, this symbiosis, between the trees and the atmosphere was temporarily astounding.

Slowly flowers are beginning to appear on the mountain in time to prevent this garden blog from becoming the Clyde Weather Or Not Blog. The flowers perk up in the sun and so do I.














Upon my return this afternoon after spending some quality time with the wall, a little something caught my eye. Perched on the slope next to the parking area was a gorgeous Crocus in full bloom. I had not seen this small patch before. How nice is that?














It seems the cold/cool is not giving up easily. That is a good thing for the plants and the bulbs.

For me...."Ohhhh noooooooooooooo ..."


















I'll have to live with the warm sunny parts of the day that I get.

The cold does appear to have a preservative effect. These Scarlet Elf Cups are looking as good as when I first spotted them a couple of weeks ago. The snowdrops are still blooming after almost a month. As my own personal mid-century mark looms closer, this cool preservative might really become a good thing.

6 comments:

chuck b. said...

Yeah!

A heavy dew-drop from the leaves of a tall Eucalyptus or Coast Redwood is really something to see. You can hear it a little bit too.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Beautiful Crocus Clyde Weather or Not...

Christopher C. NC said...

I definitely heard it and was hit by the falling ice as well.

Lisa, whether or not more appear, it is my favorite Crocus so far.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

I love your personal logo ! almost an inukshuk ? such pretty Spring flowers .. can't wait to see mine too .. so far now I admire everyone else's ? LOL
JOy

Annie in Austin said...

Hang in there Mr Bill! That's a hilarious photo1

You sure are right about your cooler weather letting the flowers last longer. With our frequent one-day warm spells, daffodils get to look beautiful for a very short time.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Christopher C. NC said...

Joy I had to look up what an inukshuk is, but yes I think it qualifies, a transplanted Hawaiian version of the inukshuk.

Annie that mean and cold Mr. Sluggo keeps trying, but I'll hang in there. I wonder if you are the only cool chick who got the reference?