Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Promise Kept

In a few short weeks it will be the four year anniversary of my arrival on the low spot of a North Carolina mountain top. A big incentive for me to move from a tropical zone 11 on the island of Maui to a high elevation zone 5b in the northern extreme of the deep south was the early inheritance of a portion of this land. I came for the 'aina.

Today the surveyor man was here to measure off 2.3 acres of land, exactly one fifth of the larger parcel. Click on the picture below and you will see pink tape on the second fence post from the right, my soon to be SE property corner.



My land will stretch all the way down to the left side of this picture, probably even a bit out of this picture. I can't match the tree tops to the tree trunks where I know the SW property corner is.



I was planting seeds in the roadside vegetable garden while the surveyor man was measuring. It turns out I won't be a share cropper for the rest of my natural born days. Most of the existing vegetable garden will get titled to me after all the proper processes have been done. There is a lot of legal paper work involved.



In many ways legally owning the land means so much less to me than being with the land, being able to live and garden here. I could have been content to just live here. But the time will come when the other four fifths of the land has new owners and there is no way of knowing for certain what they will want. Having title to my 2.3 acres guarantees I can live and garden on this smaller piece of the 'aina until my own time is done.



I want to be with the whole piece of land of course. I like taking long slow strolls late in the day. Digging up and moving 10,000 daffodils seems like a rather daunting task as I creep closer to my own decrepitude. Let's hope it never comes to that.

11 comments:

Lola said...

Your garden looks wonderful. I hope it to be very fruitful for you. I think you've earned it.
It is nice to be able to take long slow strolls at the waning of the day. It is so restful even when the body is tired from the days toils.
The best my friend.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola doesn't the roadside vegetable garden look nice when it is all fresh and new and promising a good season to come. I'll be harvesting strawberries in the morning for company.

Anonymous said...

The processes that have to take place after losing a parent are so hard. I would imagine for you especially so with the land and the time you spent with him each spring and summer.
Sallysmom

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Very poetic. I'm looking for my own patch of land. You're an inspiration whether you know it or not.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog when I was doing some research on wood chips in the garden for my brother. I live over the mountain from you in Tennessee. When I look south from my deck, I can see Mt. Sterling. I live about 10-15 miles from Max Patch in Del Rio. I love to garden, but I do not think I can ever call my self a gardener after viewing your blog. I started at the beginning, and after a week, I am at June, 2009! You have motivated me however and someday I hope to have a beautiful garden as well.

Dianne

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am glad you are having the never ending paperwork put in order. Your veggie garden is beautiful as well as fruitful. I am happy that it will officially be yours too after all that work.

Christopher C. NC said...

Sallysmom the worst time for me is when driving home and knowing he won't be there when I get there. But this garden and this land is so much a part of him and who he was. His spirit will always be with us on this mountain top.

Tom there is something to be said for not having a landlord hovering over your decisions and plenty of room to plant in.

Diane welcome to Outside Clyde. We're nearly neighbors. Hopefully you will see in looking at this blog that gardening is an adventure not a destination. Enjoy the bounty that nature is so willing to share with us.

Lisa seems there is always another process. I just keep handling them one step at a time. I am glad to be getting most of the working section of the vegetable garden. There was some disagreement in certain quarters about that and my solution was Solomon's, split the baby in half and was ready to propose that when things changed in the night. With one less vote in the matter, the baby was split.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on becoming a bond fide landowner, Christopher! In time it will become a garden to outshine any other. Your life's work will be making it so.

bev

Pam/Digging said...

Four years already? Well, you've settled in seamlessly from the tropics to the mountaintop. I'm glad it feels like home.

Fairegarden said...

It is good that the survey has been done, another step towards full ownership. It is so beautiful, but you already know that.
xxxooo
Frances

Kate said...

So many of us are transplants, just like the plants we grow in our gardens. Here's hoping your roots grow strong and deep!