Friday, May 6, 2011

The Showy Orchis

This is a big white clematis I saw at work today, not Galearis spectabilis.



This is Galearis spectabilis, the Showy Orchis blooming in the deep forest. There was just enough energy left over to go looking for the Orchis. I did not want to miss it blooming this year now that I know where it is.



Even so I got a little lost looking. The trees are leafed out. The forest floor is a thick carpet of green, speckled with the pink of wild geranium. The trilliums are done. It is different in the deep forest now and I got turned around.



It's not easy finding a small orchid about ten inches in diameter and maybe six inches tall in the wild of the deep forest even when you know where to look. But this year the hunt for the Showy Orchis was a success.

6 comments:

Lola said...

Congrats Christopher, she is a beauty. Well worth getting a little turned around. It can make a difference when leaves are present.
I like the wild geraniums.
You sure will sleep tonight.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola it is 9:30 and I am about ready for bed. Work work wears me out. Course I get up earlier for work work.

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! WOW what beautiful blooms! I love that clematis ~ just gorgeous.

Carol Michel said...

Well worth the hike to see those orchis.

Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you for the gift of seeing that; I have never seen one before! But you could never truly get lost in your own woods.
Well, I bet you sleep better when tired anyway.

bev

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Yay, worth getting lost to find this little beauty.