Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Back To Normal?

I can't believe what I am seeing in the extended diagnosis. A week long cool down with highs in the 60's and lows in the upper thirties. I may have to put my long underwear back on.



The lows better stay in the upper thirties because the garden up here and the entire region has moved on. Plant growth is well past our average annual last frost date of May 15th. The Spanish Bluebells that normally bloom the first weeks of May are blooming now in the first week of April.



It is still April isn't it?



The gardener's mistake of Silver Lamium, Lamium maculatum is awash in yellow blooms. It wants to take over the entire mountain. It forms such an impenetrable mat little else will grow through. This past winter I did a spraying experiment. It is evergreen while most everything else goes dormant. I was able to spray and kill sections of it without harming what was beneath. Next winter I plan to kill more.



The tulips fade away long before they were supposed to arrive. They had a great bloom while they were here.



I about had a heart attack when I saw this. It can't be! The rhododendrons can't bloom early. Oh please weather gods make it cool and keep it cool for the next five weeks. Nothing below freezing though. If the rhododendrons bloom early I may have to cancel the Asheville 2012 Fling. A devastating freeze could do the same thing. Sorry garden bloggers everything froze to death. Nothing to see here. The Fling is cancelled.



If we are going to have a pest on this mountain with a yellow bloom I vote for the native Celandine Poppy. They were half dead when they finally followed me home. It says something about them that they survived and look this good. I know from whence they came they are not shy about self seeding.



A few daffodils linger in the annex. Maybe, just maybe a few blooms will be left when Bulbarella arrives Friday afternoon.



I am looking forward to the trees leafing out to see what difference it will make for the Blue Pot art project. The naked forest is definitely not the best backdrop for this installation.

It will take a tornado to tip over the Blue Pot now. Two more bags of gravel were added. The pot is filled near to the top. It isn't going anywhere.

The ground level backdrop of the red honeysuckle trellis is less hideous after a bit of tidying. It could be better though and needs some pondering. A proper trellis for the honeysuckle would likely do the trick.



That lattice trellis has been hiding something for years. The evidence has been removed, evidence of the sickness. All those pots arrived with plants in them. Now they are going to a place where plants can be put back in them.



All those trash bags are filled with more pots that arrived with plants in them. Many were ratty, odd shapes or colors and many were trademark labeled and I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to recycle them at my favorite local independent nursery.



Once all this crap is gone I just know someone is going to see an empty spot and plant it. I try not to be an enabler to the sickness and it is simply impossible.

3 comments:

Lola said...

Such beauty to see. The used pots look like mine. I don't think the blue pot is going anywhere. All will be perfect when the resident gardener arrives. I'm sure much pleasure will be displayed. You are such a good son.

Barry said...

I think the blue pot is perfect, and 200# of gravel should make it want to stay [2-legged varmints beware!]. My only worry is that the bamboos will feel like they should put out roots, given that you touched them!

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I have been making an effort to return my pots right away, otherwise I could end up with a collection just like that.

Pomakai' I sure hope that bamboo doesn't root. It is remotely possible. It is a bad running kind that has taken over where I harvested it.