Tuesday, April 3, 2012

In Between Thunderstorms

Two hundred pounds of gravel should do it. I think I will pick up two more 40 lb bags tomorrow just to be sure. Nice that the pretty rounded river rock was cheaper than ugly gravel.



I was chased from work today by thunderstorms and was home early enough during a respite to keep moving before the thunderstorms returned with a vengeance.

The Blue Pot art project is complete.

Friday's job will be to get rid of the collection of plastic nursery pots hiding behind the red honeysuckle trellis and see if I can't make the background a bit more pleasing or at least less hideous.



I should do something about that gas tank too. A camouflage in botanical stencils perhaps?

If that Blue Pot tips over now it may not survive with all that weight inside. I have evidence in case. I like it so I sure hope it doesn't tip over. I hope the resident gardener likes it.



I had been noticing the white of trilliums down in the wild forest in the last two days and thought I should go have a look. Being that it is essentially May, I also went hunting for the Showy Orchis. This year I am prepared. The deer will not be eating the Orchis this year at peak bloom. I want seeds. I want babies.

Looks like there may have been a Drunken Botanist down there in the forest some time ago.



And then I found another Showy Orchis a few feet away. The deer may not wait until they are in bloom. This patch wasn't there last year. I'll need more than sticks if this is a deer delicacy.



Down in the wild forest you can see my hemlogged hillside. The neighbors hauled out most of the logs. Some were left. The number of dead hemlocks still standing is double the number that were logged. They will be crashing to the forest floor in time.



Trilliums, I did mention the trilliums had started blooming.



There are thousands of them down in the wild forest. I need to move some over to the garden becoming when they are done blooming.



A carpet of Viola canadensis laps at the feet of the massive boulder.



The wildflowers of the forest floor are here thanks to the thundering rain.

3 comments:

Siria said...

Oh my goodness! What beauty surounds you!!! Love what you have done with the blue pot!!!

Lola said...

Blue pot looks marvelous. Hope that works.I agree, the tank needs some kind of camouflage.

Anonymous said...

Christopher I saw a gas tank like that painted to resemble a watermelon that had been opened lengthwise (complete with scalloped margin). It was quite attractive; I'm sure you can come up with somethng that would fit in a woodland garden!

bev