Monday, April 9, 2012

What Will A Freeze Do Now?

Aack! The new diagnosed low for Thursday morning is 26 degrees. With wind. Which means the cold air won't just sink to the bottom. The lows on either side are 31 and 34. That is three nights in a row of potential freezing temps. It is not possible to cover things in three acres of the wild cultivated gardens. Maybe a few select items. But what? The wee baby Japanese maples at least.



At least it will be a freeze of short duration. That is the best part. After so many weeks of abnormal warmth the question really becomes what cold tolerance if any do the plants have left in them?



Will Hyacinthoides hispanica blooming a month early take the freezing cold in stride like in a normal year?



Will pretty pink petals of azaleas be turned to mush?



Then it is going to heat right back up to near 80 by Monday and we are still a month away from our average annual last frost date. I am not liking this at all!

9 comments:

Siria said...

Praying it doesn't freeze! Not a good thing...

Anonymous said...

Not only that, but at least in our coastal plain area it is very, very dry this spring. This is going to be the year from hell, I fear.

bev

Lola said...

Oh dear, I do hope it doesn't ruin your beauty. It is a tad cooler here.
Things do seem a bit slow here, at least in my garden. Maybe it's being slow like me. lol

Christopher C. NC said...

Siria not a good thing at all. One can only hope any damage is minor to none.

Bev we have had plenty of rain so far. This cold spell is coming as a dry front which is unusual considering all the rain.

Lola nothing slow about this spring at all.

Just when I was getting used to not worrying about these late freezes at all.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

We are having the same weathers. I am not liking it either. What a weird spring we are having.

Fairegarden said...

Same here, Christopher. I don't know what to cover. Perhaps some macrophylla hydrangeas that have buds for the first time ever, and bring the potato bags inside. I can't worry about the rest, even the azaleas.
I hope you have no losses with all the leafy protection out now.

Anonymous said...

They are showing a prediction of 29 for us now. I have little blue berries, little peaches, and my Peony
has started blooming. Oh, well.

Dianne

Larry said...

We have been going through this situation for the past two weeks... the majority of 62 magnolia tree's blooms were frozen and I now have concerns for other flowering trees. I have been wrapping my japanese maples except for one larger one... so far that is working. I'm covering what I can of hundreds of hosta plants and now that the lilies are poking through, they will need covering as well. This is the most difficult spring I've ever experienced. It is very windy as you mentioned, most of the time... helps protect things but makes being outside very uncomfortable. Good luck navigating this strange weather... Larry

Mel said...

I'm petrified too. Don't know what to cover or how to hold anything down in these blustery winds. We're predicted 29 tonight in Illinois, and another day or two at 30 or 31 until it passes. Unseasonably dry here too, not much snow to speak of, so things are looking very dry here.

Looks like worry will be the norm for this strange season. Hope you save as much as you can.