Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Evidence Before The Freeze

The morning low was 32. At 8:50 pm it is 36.3 degrees. The diagnosis is suggesting a low of 28 give or take. I think it's gonna freeze tonight. Normally I wouldn't really care. These are not normal times.

The Seven Son Flower, Heptacodium miconioides is fully leafed out. It is rated to zone 5, but will the fresh new leaves survive the freeze?



I've seen Japanese maple leaves get crisped by late freezes. These tender shoots are not even fully formed. It will have to take it chances though. Gardy can't be getting into the habit of covering things in a garden this big.



These couple years older Japanese maples are too big and yet too limber and small to easily cover in a blowing winter wind. The act of protecting them could cause damage.

I will have to rely on the short duration of the slightly below freezing temperatures, good fortune and lucky micro climate placements to minimize any freeze damage that could occur.

Good luck little Rough Bark Japanese Maple. You look so pretty in the last rays of sunshine on your nice new leaves before the freeze arrives.



The Kousa Dogwood has half filled out leaves. I have a feeling it may be a bit tougher than the maples. And this isn't the kind of freeze that could kill the chamaecyparis totally dead like it did in 2007.



I wouldn't worry about the Clothesline Iris at all if the weathers hadn't been packing near 80 degrees for weeks in a row before this freeze. A freeze in April is normal. Snow in April is normal. March was the problem.



The two wee baby Japanese maples planted late last summer will be getting the bucket for the next two nights. They will fit inside there no problem. I don't want them to suffer any setback in their infancy. Of all the plants out there, these two are the only ones that are getting covered. Gardy can't be getting into the habit of babying these things. The garden is much to big. Already there are more plants than can be realistically protected from adverse weathers. Life is tough. They will have to cope. This is their zone.



At 9:45 pm it is 34.7 degrees. I think it is going to freeze. Good luck baby shrubberies. Keep in mind you need to be ready for your closeups in a bit over a month. Keep warm. Hang tight. Please don't freeze.

6 comments:

Les said...

I guess it's too late to put the geenie back in the bottle. Even here we are expected to get anywhere between 35-40. Thank goodness for large expanses warmer than average river water.

Lola said...

Do hope all will be fine. Work here is coming along slow. GGS cut extension cord in 2 trying to edge to help. He's fine.

Christopher C. NC said...

Les I don't think my little stream is going to help much at all. Maybe if I left the hot water running to flood the drain field?

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I am hoping for the best. Goodness. That always scares me about electric power tools.

Anonymous said...

Now they have us forecast for only 32. I have covered nothing either.
I am hoping we do not go lower, or that it will be short lived. The temp, not the plants!

Dianne

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It is supposed to be just like that here. UGH... We as well as the plants were all teased into an early spring. I hope all your plants survive the freeze.