Friday, April 20, 2012

In The Time Of The Dogwood

Dogwoods are without a doubt one of my favorite spring flowering trees. Large pure white flowers on a small tree make a great showing. They are a definite sign that spring has taken hold.



















And this year the signs are all messed up. So many things are in bloom confusion.

You can see from the lowest bud on this iris how I might mistake it for the Black iris. I even discovered where it came from at work today. I guess that means this iris should be blooming now if the mother plant is.


























I do worry because every thing is so early. What will be left one month from today? And will this next cold wave with a diagnosed low of 33 cause another setback? Oh worry, worry.


























But there is nothing to be done. The Spanish Bluebells will bloom while I worry.




















Spring leafs up to the higher elevations in an unstoppable process.




















Iris cristata starts blooming two weeks ahead of the norm. They would have been finished by the end of May anyway.




















Fresh new foliage sprouts on the conifers.




















The Dogwoods are in full bloom.





















And this worries me the most. The rhododendron buds are swelling. A few of them have started to bloom. A garden tour was planned for the peak of the rhododendrons.




















We will be lucky if all these visitors can catch the tale end. Assuming another hard freeze doesn't obliterate the swelling buds entirely.

5 comments:

Fairegarden said...

It will be beautiful in mid May, no matter what is blooming, frozen or done. The Black Gamecock isn't even budding yet here, but the dogwoods and long past. The bearded iris are having the best year in many. I was wondering the same thing about what will be blooming when visitors come. I am hoping for lilies, if this pattern keeps up.
xo
Frances

Anonymous said...

Your post today is quite beautiful. We are getting snow this week so who knows what will be unaffected. I would very much like the tour of Biltmore home coupon, but not sure how to leave a private message on FB.You should have my email here.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Now, stop all that worrying. It will be alright. I can't wait to see everything anyway. Something will be in bloom. Maybe not what you expected but my expectations will be satisfied no doubt.

Lola said...

Beautiful. I remember the awakening of vegetation when I was there. Nothing like it.
We're getting the liquid sunshine today. It's nice & we sure need it.
No fear, all will be a triumph when the time is right.

Christopher C. NC said...

Oh I know something will be blooming then. After everything that has been added over the years, it's just a fact. And there will be more Lush than you can shake a stick at. I was just aiming for one of the crescendos.