Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Could It Be, A Daffodil

It's a February Bloom Day and the snowdrops are unscathed after four inches, at least of snow and 5 degrees for a low. These tiny little bulbs bloom for a very long time. I think they stay fresh and keep trying until someone comes along to pollinate them. They always seem to produce seed pods.



A brilliant flash of yellow greeted me when I pulled into the driveway coming home. No it's not a daffodil. This yellow crocus is always one of the very first to bloom in a sunny bed beside the drive. It was just waiting for the snow to melt and the sun to shine.



I found the very first anemone while scouting for blooms for Bloom Day. Many more will follow.



In the ridge top garden a few lavender crocus bloom. Most of the hundreds of other crocus are just beginning to contemplate awakening.



And yes I did I saw a daffodil. This is the first daffodil of the year. I don't think I have ever had a daffodil for February's Bloom Day. Could it be one for the record books.



Madame Carol at Bloom Day Central, official rule maker and record keeper of all rules made for the earliest a daffodil has ever bloomed for me will let me know if I will be the holder of a record for the daffodil books.

5 comments:

Christopher C. NC said...

It just keeps getting better from here on Lola.

Lea s Menagerie said...

If its a daffodil, it must be Spring!
Lovely crocus blooms, too!
Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Crazy weather. Love seeing a shot of blue color at this time of year. Happy GBBD.

Unknown said...

Ah, snowdrops...is there a more welcome, adorable flower during the winter? I love the anemone--such a stunning blue. It's been crazy here in Upstate SC--70 degrees a week ago, then in the 20s this past weekend. Poor, confused blooms. Look forward to visiting your site again!

scottweberpdx said...

Lovely blooms...I'm always amazed at how rich and saturated the color of those Anemones are...just stunning!