Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Wonder What This Is

I have a vague recollection of Narcissus bulbocodium, but that was last fall, a long time ago. Was that here or at Client #1's? What did Bulbarella give me? It is apparent I don't take notes, use plant tags or have a functioning memory. Way too many bulbs for that kind of nonsense. I'll know what it is when it blooms.



I'm going to stop wondering what this interesting little clump grass is at least until I forget. I have decided it is Danthonia compressa, Flattened Oatgrass, unless it is Danthonia spicata, Poverty Oatgrass. Up here it could be both or a hybrid of the two.



It has real potential for being nicely organized in alternate locations.



I wonder what this is. I spotted it a couple weeks ago while doing some tidying. It reminds me a bit of the Cryptanthus bromeliads, but I imagine it is a sedge of some sort. While taking its mug shot I saw lots of little baby Cryptanthus sedges. I'll watch them this year and see if they need organizing. Some of them can go into the growing sedge collection for the pseudo lawn in the cabin side bed right away.



I wonder what this is. I identified it a few years back and forgot what it is. It's like a Fairy Goblet fungus or some such thing.



You can see how editing and organizing the wild things in the garden to be could be quite a task. There's lots of good stuff out there worth keeping and if I don't know what it is I have to wait and see what it does before making a decision on its fate. Then add in the fact that a lot of these plants are only here for half the year or less.

I could be at this organizing business for quite some time.

5 comments:

Lola said...

Good luck. I wish I had marked mine. Can't remember them now.

William said...

Sarcoscypha coccinea?

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I am being surprised by where some things are coming up. Bulbarella was just handing me sacks of bulbs and I'd just wander around and plant them.

Very good William. Thank you. The Scarlet Elf Cup, Sarcoscypha coccinea. I remembered the cup part.

Barry said...

Aloha, Chris,
I'm impressed so much by all the bloomin' beauty you have accumulated. I'm curious, do you have a system for logging all the flora by location or do you just recall it when you see it?

Christopher C. NC said...

Pomaika'i I have more of memory of what kind of plant community exists in a given location. Then I may or may not remember the name of a given individual plant species when I see it. The species diversity up here is astronomical.