Monday, February 6, 2012

Step By Step

One of my new flat rocks was perfect for a stepping stone. So I used it as a stepping stone. Now I just need two more big ones or maybe three or four smaller rocks just perfect for stepping stones. They are bound to show up.



The foreground of the right orbital swirl of Creation was wiggled a little. It is more pleasing to me now. Perhaps I can let it rest for a spell.



A few days ago I raked away the leaves from the Cotoneaster dammeri 'Streib's Findling' to see how it had fared over the summer. I was most pleased to see it had doubled in size. That is the growth from two, small, one gallon plants over three years I think.



This diminutive ground hugging form of cotoneaster is evergreen, has tiny white flowers in spring and red berries from fall into winter. I don't think it qualifies as even being an inch tall at this point.



I have taken rooted cuttings from the main plants to help spread it a bit quicker over this slope. They are all doing fine. They just aren't visible in a picture yet. I can tell you one other thing. Gravity is a powerful force. Neither this cotoneaster or the vinca I planted on the slope above the garden access road have grown a single inch in the uphill direction. I need to sprig in more cuttings of both at the very top of the slopes to get them fully covered.

Eventually I'd like the cotoneaster to take up a good chunk of this slope.



The snowdrops bloom while the other bulbs slowly push their way to the surface. Looks like an extended cold spell is on its way according to the diagnosis. That is a very good thing. We certainly don't want the trees, shrubs and vast majority of the perennials breaking dormancy this soon.



I picked up another new client today with a pretty intense gardener's garden. I'll be starting right away. It definitely needs work before spring gets going. I just might work my way well beyond the poverty level for 2012. Tubers and root crops are still a good backup plan though.



Step by step a new life is settling into place. Kind of reminds me of my old life except now I have more elbow room and the title is in my name. Becoming a roadside curiosity does add a new wrinkle to things though.

Boy, I need to get those wooden steps and the porch power washed and stained painted soon before it looks like I painted them green.

6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Crawford obviously approves of the new step. It looks great. Here's to a year above the poverty line. Yay...

Anonymous said...

Great news on the new client! Yes, you are constructing your life. Having the title in your name makes you 'rooted'.

I love the cotoneaster; I bet it doesn't have any trouble covering. I too have noticed the gravity problem in my garden.

bev

Cheryl K. said...

Please thank Crawford for posing in the photos - it helps distant viewing with the scale. He probably knows that.

Lola said...

Great stepping stone. I have one that is flat like that. I brought it back. I do have a couple favorites.
I like the kitty approval scene. Do the birds like the little red berries?
Kudos for a new client. That will help a lot.

Siria said...

Congratulations on the new client! Here Here to a year above the poverty line!

Blackash said...

Hi Chistopher,
I’m Becky Northey co-founder of pooktre. I’ve read your blog today and I believe you would find pooktre interesting, tree shaping is creating living art with trees in an environmentally sustainable way. These are real living trees that look like something out of a fairy tale. Living garden chairs, people trees and many other forms. Please have a look at our web site http://www.pooktre.com

Looking through your site of creative landscaping/gardening, I think your readers would also enjoy learning about pooktre I would like to inquire if you would be interested in reviewing a book titled 'Knowledge to Grow Shaped Trees'

More detail please email me
Becky