Sunday, February 5, 2012

Searching For Spring Bulbs

Oh I vaguely remember where I planted most of the daffodils. Maybe. Some of them are surprising me.

It was a rather cold and dreary day, despite the sun peaking out on occasion. I managed to stay inside and force myself to get the cipherin done for both state and federal income taxes for 2011. The hard part is done. When I have some money again, I will consider sending in the completed forms.

A quick stroll in the increasing cold seemed like a nice thing to do after that little aggravation was handled. Just because I thought it was a little cold and dreary at 50 degrees doesn't mean the bulbs do.



There's a lot of ground out there where bulbs can hide after being planted. My dealer has been keeping me well supplied.



I knew these snowdrops were some where around this general location. Another patch has been slow to show itself. They are on the shady north side of the cabin by the back service entrance and under a new thick layer of wood chip mulch. A few have poked through so far. I have this vaque recollection there might be more snowdrops out there some where else.



Daffodils planted in autumns past are faithfully returning. This particular grouping is ending up in a section of the garden to be meant to become a lawn of sorts. And by lawn of sorts I mean an unmowed meadow. I might whack it once or twice a year to keep the tall things down. I need the negative space a large open area like that can provide in the larger garden. I'll need to convince the elderberry it can't grow here. That stuff is a pain because of the thick suckering root system.



An Ox-Eyed Daisy has plopped itself right on top of my one crocus. At least I think I only have one crocus. You never know. Things can accidentally follow me home just as easily as I can forget what my dealer has provided. I'm not even sure where this crocus came from.



There is a lot of room out there for bulbs. I can imagine a naturalistic bulb filled meadow in the spring like you are seeing in the catalogs these days. At least I can see that before the Lush takes over. I also doubt I have the restraint needed to pull off the color coordination you see in those bulb meadows in the catalogs.



It is safe to assume however that every year there will be More. The question right now is what will show up this year?

4 comments:

Lola said...

I'm glad you got the hard part done.
Those bulbs sure are doing their stuff. Shortly it will be ablaze with flowers. And the Spring beauty begins.

lh said...

When I look at your delightful photos, I play a game similar to “Where’s Waldo?” except that I’m searching to see if one of your furry assistants might be in there, somewhere not immediately apparent. And I’m always happy (Eureka!) when I find Crawford or Miss Collar. It’s better than winning the lottery.
Lois

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I am trying not to get antsy about the bulbs despite this cool spring weather. I know peak is usually around April 1st. Maybe a week earlier this year. Still a ways to go.

Ha ha. That's funny Lois. Sometimes I don't even know the kitties are in a picture until I get them on the computer. They like to go on strolls with me.

Lola said...

I too look for the kitties like the one in last pic. I know they are a great comfort to you & company.