Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Winter Has Arrived

The morning started with sleet pinging on the metal roof of the front porch. That changed over quickly to a real snow burst of fluffy flakes coming down fast and thick. It was starting to pile up. Just a quickly as it came it was gone. The snow stopped, the sun came out and all the snow melted in a blink of an eye.

There was a momentary hint of 40 degrees while the sun was out. That didn't last long either. The low grey clouds rolled back in and for most of the day the temperature hovered around 34. Now it's dropping. The extended diagnosis is showing a string of cold days ahead mixed with more chances of snow.

Can't you tell? Winter has arrived.



I have been psyching myself up for a return to work kind work where I set an alarm and try to arrive at a decent hour in the morning to get started. After almost two months of doing whatever, it takes some reorienting. Now winter is arriving to muck things up.

Because you know, doing whatever, like hauling and wiggling rocks, building walls, cleaning up construction leftovers and all the other things I have been doing of late don't count as work. There is some weird quirk in my brain where if I'm not billing for my time it doesn't register that I have been working. My physical body however seems immune to this quirk.

After completing and signing four sets of tax forms this morning, it wanted a nap. It was too cold for hauling more rocks.



The garden to be is ready for winter now. There was a big push during this winter that wasn't to add structural winter interest to the garden for the winters that will be. I swear I think these 'Gold Mop' Chamaecyparis have been growing all this time. Soon enough there will be evergreen trees and shrubberies of some substance to add to the interest in winter.



In the winters to come it won't just be the objects de that give you something to look at.



It won't just be the monumental works of stone that catch your eye in the winters to come.



A garden grows to join in.

I have tentatively identified this grass I like as Danthonia compressa, Flattened Oatgrass. I think this native grass has real possibilities as the dominant player in the inner rings of Creation. There is more than enough of it to transplant.



It is trying to snow again. Maybe winter has finally arrived.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Ah, winter. We've had virtually none of it this season. One fleeting night's freeze. but we have had some rain this winter and that's a true blessing. And I think hauling those &$@?%#€£ rocks counts as work, billable or not!

Lola said...

I agree with Diana. Moving or wiggling those rocks is work. Hard work. If mother nature does decide to send that white stuff you are ready, willing? & able to take a very short break.
Usually this time of yr. we should have 5.91" of rain but we only have had .25". So we are at a very low point. Watering is no fun. Too early.
Cut more lettuces for a fresh salad. Yummyy.