Thursday, February 9, 2012

The First Part Of Winter

I woke to a light frosting of sleet. It wasn't pretty enough to take a picture. Too bad. The fact that some of it was still here when I got home meant it didn't get very warm up here today. Our week of winter is beginning. There is more snow in the diagnosis for Saturday morning and again on Monday and Tuesday.



I came home from my first day of work at the new client's with another load of woodchips for the roadside vegetable garden. All most have it done. Now that winter is here, perhaps I will wait until St. Patrick's Day to sow my first round of greens and sugar snap peas.



The arrival of winter means the grasses can stay for a bit longer. I like to cut them back before they show any signs of green growth at the bottom. I plan to dig and divide a few of the clumps this spring. I want to give the Bird's Nest Spruce in this bed a little more sun and a little more elbow room. Where will I plant some new grass starts? I'll find some places.



This is the kind of thing you worry about in a winter that wasn't followed by the winter that finally arrived. The perennial Rattlesnake Master, Eryngium yuccifolium has decided to wake up. I don't have enough experience with this plant to know if these fresh sprouts will survive the 17 degree low I see in the diagnosis. I'll find out. I could be nice and cover them with a dollop of woodchips to be on the safe side.



Will there be a cozy, snowy winter scene in my future?



Now that winter is here, there is certainly a better chance of that.

3 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Winter finally showed up here, too. We are expecting a "wintry mix" tomorrow, or maybe they called it a one-two punch -- snow then cold temperatures. I love me some winter!

Lola said...

Getting somewhat cooler here. Unless it changes due for freeze by Mon. morn. The Cozy Cabin would look mighty fine with a white blanket around. But not to stay very long. Sure hope the new shoots survive.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Snow and sleet to arrive here by noon today they say. Winter is trying it's best to come in.