Friday, February 10, 2012

Waiting For A Winter Wonderland

The weathers diagnosis is calling for the rather vicious entry of a late winter. I could well be encased in a winter wonderland when I wake up in the morning and it will continue to get more wintery as the day progresses. They're talking lows in the teens and wind gusts up to 50 mph. This could bring more of the dead hemlocks down. That will be fine. The sooner they fall, the sooner they'll rot.



This was the last chance to get anything done for a couple of days. Just to be on the safe side I covered the sprouting Eryngium yuccifolium with a dollop of woodchips for a bit of insulation.



Then I went looking for stepping stones. A little snow, melt, freeze, melt, rain and more snow will help settle the dirt and bring the clean gravel back to the top. So far it feels comfortable walking on the new stepping stones. Flat is a relative term with wild rocks.



Is it too much? Have I gone overboard with the glass bottles and rocks? Frankly I can get tired of looking at it all and obsessing over it. I hope it gets covered in a thick layer of snow just for the visual break.

I do realize as a garden begins to grow, the greenery will take some of the edge off. I also keep telling myself that to create the biggest impact you need to go all out or you might as well go home. Maybe I haven't gone far enough?



You are not going to see something like this in Garden Design that's for sure. That magazine is focused on high end landscape design. The kind of people who can afford those gardens can afford to buy nice rocks. What you see here is the pauper's version of trying to make a beautiful garden with the available free stuff.



Soon enough a jury of my peers will be here to judge my taste and efforts. At least by then there will be some greenery to take a little of the edge off.

10 comments:

Ashley Garrison said...

Looks great Christopher! I look forward to meandering along the glass lined paths and seeing all the interesting tid bits you've added :)
Hopefully Greg and I can make it out there soon...
-Ashley

Christopher C. NC said...

Anytime you want Ashley. Just gimme a holler. The Bulbapaloozathon? The Rhododendron Show? Fourth of July Fireworks? The end of summer Tallflower Meadow? The Colors of Autumn? Lots of choices.

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! I love your rocks. Wish I had more at my place...I'm working on that...

Christopher C. NC said...

Siria there has to be plenty of rocks hiding at your place. They might all be down hill of the house though.

Lola said...

Looks great Christopher. Love what you have done with the rocks & bottles. Just found out that Bud Light is in dark blue bottles. Must get some to make my bottle tree. I can use the contents for snacks for my lawn. Sure don't intend to consume any.
Stay warm.

Christopher C. NC said...

Wow. Bud light is in dark blue bottles now. I may have to get my beer drinking family to switch from cans. One of them must drink Bud Light.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I don't think you are over the top with anything. I think you are tired of looking at it all. When there is some lush oozing around those rocks and bottles you will be pleased.

Fairegarden said...

It is fabulous, Christopher, and so much more interesting, to me anyway, than those high end store bought kind of gardens. It is real, and reflects your ingenious use of free stuff, what I call Tightwad Gardening. The bottles and rocks are perfect for that environment. Part hillbilly, all artist. I saw the ad on the superbowl for those blue bottles. Some people around here need to take a liking to bud light. Your peers will be blown out the door with your low spot on the mountain.
xo
Frances

Lola said...

Around here the Bud Light in blue bottles is going for about 7 a six pack.

Garden Broad said...

You are braver than I, inviting gardening guests! Hopefully they are all kind and gracious. If not, take them for a long walk in the woods and ditch em'! :P