Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A Thin Crust

There at the very end, when it sounded like a sack of BBs pouncing off the roof, I knew something had happened to the rain. Ice was falling from the sky. It ended as abruptly as it began, leaving only a thin icy crust.

By morning a dash off snow was on top. That wasn't much of a winter storm. I didn't get any where near ten inches of snow. All seemed well. Then an eery feeling crept in. Not one single car had passed by on the scenic byway. That was odd.





















Yes, there was a slippery thin layer of ice covering things. Was the scenic byway covered too? Would the mail lady be able to fetch my ready to go tax crap today? Was I the lone survivor of some disaster I missed? It was just way too quiet out there.





















The scenic byway was just fine, perfectly wet from the road salt. I have seen people drive through blizzards way worse than this. This was odd.

It wasn't even that cold. It was nineteen whole degrees.

Finally one lone car passed by. Then the mail lady came and took my money away. It was still awful quiet out there.




















Oh well. I stuck with my plans to start cleaning the house next door.





















And I wandered the ridge top garden a bit picking up the fresh crop of branches and sticks as I went. The snow drops were doing just fine.





















When I came back home to sit, there were all these power outage and ice reports on FB from Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina and Asheville. Kentucky had been closed. Hmm? I wondered what happened in Waynesville? Was today cancelled due to ice?

I got an hour of snow, six hours of rain, a last gasp of ice and a dash more of snow. How was I seemingly spared way up high on the mountain top?

I'm glad I don't have to predict the weather. That was a weird winter storm.


5 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

It made an interesting read.

Sallysmom said...

My daughter lives in KY and got 9 ".

Lola said...

Haven't checked but guess my hometown got it bad.

Christopher C. NC said...

My weather can be interesting Jean. It is very different from the other side of the county as habit.

Sallysmom I was robbed!

Lola I think Tn. was mostly ice.

Dianne said...

For some reason my comment did not post, but we got ice first, then a small covering of snow. Our driveway, half a mile up hill became pretty slick and pretty much passable only by gator and tractor. This morning, we have already gotten about 2 inches of snow and still snowing. I am SO ready for spring.