Sunday, February 1, 2015

On The Other Side

Of that tallest mountain, out there in Siberolina, out there where I live, those tallest mountains keep rising, out there into the borderlands.





















They are still swaddled in snow.





















It melts in patches. The angle of repose making the first decisions.





















When the cold weight is lifted, life springs forth.





















I hear them yapping and howling on a regular basis. I have seen their tracks and scat. I know they are here.

Miss Dinah pounded on the door. When it opened she bounded up the ladder sailing into the loft, growling as she went. Something must be out there. It is good to see she knows.





















I went to look and saw a lone coyote at the border of the garden, just leaving and in no hurry. Button watched too from the basement patio below. I knew they were out there. I hear them. I have seen the signs. Now I have seen the coyote. Does Button know?

Last summer Miss Dinah came in one morning traumatized and took to her bed for a week. There were no visible injuries, but you could tell she had been physically hurt. We never knew what actually happened.

Dinah knows. Miss Collar comes running for safety at the first chorus of yips. She knows. I just have to assume Button knows.





















There was a smidgen of sun, a smidgen of warm before the wind and the rain began. In the night it will convert to snow. In the night it will return to cold.



























Siberolina is out there beyond those tallest peaks, out there in the borderlands, ready to sneak back in the night.


4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I had a cat that was traumatized when she saw her sister get killed by a dog. She always hated dogs and wouldn't go out unless I was with her. Rain here all day. Blah...

Christopher C. NC said...

Miss Collar was spooked after her brother Crawford disappeared. I felt she saw what happened. She has slept inside at night ever since with little fuss. Really, rain up there so far north?

Lola said...

I think cats as well as dogs do know. It took my little one about 6 months to learn this was her forever home. Phooey on the sneaking.

Unknown said...

Yes....those tracks look like coyote. Hope your felines will stay near shelter. They are no match for hungry preditors. I watched the "Kitten Bowl" this afternoon on Hallmark. Real cuties in action!