Wednesday, April 27, 2016

On A Summer Day In Spring

It may be another four years before I see these iris again.



























Best I get a picture now in case I ever need to remember what they look like.





















The white Dwarf Crested Iris, Iris cristata, was the first to bloom. They bloom every year, sometimes thick and sometimes thin.





















That is Mt. Sterling in the GSMNP out there.





















It's like a swarm of pink butterflies.





















Anticipation. The Yellow Lady Slipper is up.





















This is what a deciduous azalea does when you don't hack at it to make it fit. I suppose in more sun it would be more compact.





















There 's still no luteum in my trilliums. I can handle it I guess. Three other store bought trilliums have gone missing. The uvularia is a no show. I will have to dig some more. Some damn bug ate one of my emerging Aralia cordata 'Sun King'. I think it can be salvaged with a shot of cayenne pepper.

In a world of Lush the bugs go after my cultivated plants and there are people out there who will insist that bugs only like and are adapted to locally native things. Hog wash.


4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I have had some of that hogwash in my garden too. My little irises were slow to bloom this year but it was their best season ever for blooms. I was so pleased. Your 4th yr iris is gorgeous. Such a deep color. I love the idea of pink butterflies in the garden.

Unknown said...

I'm surprised to see so many blooms on your Catawba type rhododendron (seen to the right in pic #7). Do all your rhodies bloom this early at 3,800ft?

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I have a feeling the good iris bloom is all about not being hit by late freezes.

Dana it is just the one rhododendron that blooms earlier than the others. Generally they bloom the second to third week of May up here. This year I think it will be earlier because it has been so warm.

Sallysmom said...

Not a sign of my iris cristata. I checked my photos from the last 2 years and tried to watch for them this year but nary a sign. Makes me so sad.