Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Death Threats

As if on cue my computer started crashing from the moment Microsoft ended support for Windows XP. It went from crashing once every few days to crashing several times a day. I was spending more time trying to get the computer running than being on it. Surely, Microsoft has been sending my computer death threats to force me into buying a new one.





















Well Microsoft you win. I bought a new computer. And since you are pretty much a monopoly, yes it is the Windows 8 operating system. Now stop sending me death threats and crashing the computer until I can finish getting my stuff off of the old one.





















I spent last night moving all my files to the external hard drive. Now I'll double check and start deleting things from the old computer. You never know where and in whose hands it could end up.

Then I'll hook up the new computer. I will have to learn a whole new operating system. It didn't come with Word. That was another $140 bucks. Can the new computer read Word without Word? All my documents are Word. What about photo editing? And on and on.





















I'd rather be spending any spare time I might accidentally acquire in the garden than dealing with computer hell. Alas, it it not to be. Hopefully it will be quick and smooth. See you on a new computer next time.

8 comments:

beverly said...

Ugh, I sympathize. Recently went through something similar on the Mac side. Computers are real time suckers - but I wouldn't be without your blog so take your time!

Danna said...

Yes, computer hell goes on for many of us. You need a techy friend to guide you on the new systems. Good luck.
Your last photo of the garden becoming is amazing....I just keep recalling it two months ago with barren branches and snow. Your magenta shades of rhodies are mesmerizing....with the blanket of small blooms like a carpet. Mother Nature must be very pleased.

Dianne said...

What Danna said! I cannot improve on her description of beauty.

You will hate windows 8 for about 6 months and then you get pretty used to it. It is trying to be MAC like and I failed MAC training. We gave that one to a grandson so now, my husband and I have the same system which makes my life easier because he is technology challenged. Don't know about Word, may be a problem. I have it, husband does not.

Lola said...

Got the same thing with this lap top. Oldest son is tech here.

Sallysmom said...

XP was the most stable platform they had. Hardly ever had an issue until Microsoft decided they didn't want it and wouldn't support it anymore. I loved XP and just got rid of a Dell computer with XP that I got built at Dell 14 years ago.

Sallysmom said...

I hope 8 is better than 7. I have 7 and HATE it.

56steps said...

Love these photos. Your garden is looking beautiful

Debra

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Poor boy. I have been going through the same thing. Only my new computer isn't here yet.