Friday, May 2, 2014

More Plants Came Home

No I did not dig up a huge azalea in full bloom and bring it home. This one was at the Asheville Botanical Garden. That would have been wrong. I was tempted to buy one though. I have ten deciduous azaleas in the garden already and so far they have been slow and unimpressive. I wait patiently. There is no need for more at the moment.





















I did go to the botanical garden's annual plant sale to see what I might find. This is a native plant garden so the sale tends to have a lot of vendors with native plants. I had trilliums on my mind. I came home with more of the same trilliums I bought last time, Trillium luteum, the Yellow Trillium, this one actually looks yellow, and Trillium sessile, the Red Toad Trillium.

If I had seen a Painted Trillium I would have bought one. I can't find the one gifted to me last year. Maybe I didn't plant it where I think I did. Maybe it hasn't come up yet. I found a new trillium just coming up yesterday. For now the Painted Trillium is lost. I may not find it until next year.

I also bought Allium cernuum, the Nodding Onion and a Plume Poppy, Macleaya cordata. I have been looking for Plume Poppy for years. There was only one tiny one. I grabbed it fast. I hope it lives up to its aggressive reputation.





















I want my spring woodland wild flower display to be as impressive as it is at the Asheville Botanical Garden. I'm adding and editing my way there. Mid to late April is peak bloom for them down in Asheville. It was a bit past peak so I didn't tour the garden. I had other nurseries to visit for clients.





















The Lush is gathering momentum. Soon all the trilliums I have will fade away into the increasing height of the tall flower meadow. That is how it should be. Short, medium and tall, they each bloom in turn. Currently the Golden Ragwort, Packera aurea, is casting a yellow glow over the vast expanse. It's just getting started.






















Early May is going to be my peak spring woodland wild flower display. From there it will just keep getting more abundant.

2 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

My native azaleas sulked for years until this year. I suspect they appreciated all the recent rain.

Christopher C. NC said...

Jean mine get the new growth frozen every other year from late winter blasts and have to start over.