Friday, May 30, 2014

Out There In The Lush

The rescued Fire Pink, Silene virginica, have started to bloom. This is one intensely red flower. I am always most pleased when a plant has settled in and makes itself at home. Now when and where will I be seeing babies





















An iris cozies up to one of the new variegated Red Twig Dogwoods. I'd like to see them grow this year instead of just survive. I have what they want, sun and very moist soil.





















I have managed a few mass plantings. I aim for more, that and repetition. Both add structure and a strong visual element that helps subdue the chaos.





















The Baptisia are a puzzle. I have planted close to two dozen on one section of slope. In proper gardens I have watched them get big fast. By year three they are enormous. Mine putz along never seeming to gain any girth and stature. The best I can figure is the Lush slows them down. They may need more elbow room.





















I want a mass of Baptisia blooms with a mass of Yellow Louisiana Iris flowers, not just the foliage. I wait. I edit.





















Black Iris #2 is here. At some point it should be spread around. When it is done blooming I'll check and see if there is enough to pinch a few pieces for distribution. Last year a chunk of it went to a gardener who specializes in deep red foliage, blue poppies and black flowers. I hope it bloomed for him too.

Right now the Black Iris is in my cabin side bed. This is as close to a proper bed as I have gotten and it isn't anywhere near proper. I'm sure a fine spot in the Lush can be found for more Black Iris. It won't know the difference.


2 comments:

Danna said...

Fire pink is another favorite. Mix that with the blue Baptisia and the yellow LA iris.....you've got the primary color wheel....perfect combination!

Casa Mariposa said...

I love it when a rescued plant is happy and thriving. :o) Maybe your baptisia does need more elbow room. But moving them is quite a chore, I've heard. Your garden looks lush and healthy. :o)