Friday, May 16, 2014

Just Don't Go There

It has become apparent that one of the employees at my favorite local independent garden center has a habit of procuring small orders of obscure plants for the shade garden. Every year I find some new interesting plant way in the far back corner of the place. It's so far back in the corner it is basically their work area. I don't get into that far corner very often.

Today I stumbled across the Shredded Umbrella Plant, Syneilesis aconitifolia back there. That leaf. I must have it. I think I'll take two. With a leaf growing to ten inches across, it will definitely stand out in the Lush.





















The Shredded Umbrella Plant is a perennial hardy to zone 4, good, and sends single leaves up from an expanding clump of rhizomes. The tag says a non-aggressive slow spreader. Well I can live with that.

I also bumped into a hybrid Meadowsweet 'Red Umbrellas' with a most interesting leaf. This will need more sun and Meadowsweet likes wet soils. Got that. Plus they have fuzzy pink flowers on stems rising well above the foliage. At 30 inches it is short for a Meadowsweet, but I think it will be tall enough to work with the Lush.

It was another umbrella kind of day, cold and windy with passing showers.





















I've been watching some trillium blooms hiding under their umbrella of leaves. Are these the red trilliums that followed me home last year? They are in the right general location. Sure enough, they are red. This is them and they are an added new species, Trillium vaseyi. They differ from the red Trillium erectum that was already here by the larger overlapping petals. The color is also a much deeper red.

Now I wonder where that Painted Trillium went?





















The returning transplanted trilliums were not the only thing I found when I got home. The new and improved weather diagnosis is suggesting a low of 33 and patchy frost. Don't even think about going there. I will not have it. Thirty eight degrees this morning was bad enough. I do not want to have to replant half the roadside vegetable garden. One late damaging frost before a garden tour is already one to many.

There are two suspiciously dead looking Deutzias next door in the ridge top garden. They have yet to leaf out and very well may have been killed to the ground like all the roses and butterfly bushes. They are both ten feet tall and eight feet around and may have to be cut to the ground.

I'm still cleaning up from the first late frost. I do not need another.

6 comments:

Dianne said...

I was worried about your weather last evening. My forecast said snow for locations over 5000 and I know you are around 4000. I figured better snow than frost or freeze. We are down to 40 now at 5:07am and it is cloudy so I am hoping no frost. We got hail yesterday, pea size but a lot. I have two beautiful rows of green beans, then there are the tomatoes, okra, squash and eggplant that do not like cold. I am dreading my morning walk about. At least we only have one more night and last night was the worst of the cold.

Rebecca said...

Sounds like N.C. mountain temps are right in line with northeast Indiana's! Hoping 38 degrees was your lowest....

The umbrella plant IS eye-catching. I'll look forward to seeing it placed strategically in your l'scape.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Lucky you having a nurseryman that is brave enough to order something out of the ordinary. Beautiful trillium.

Christopher C. NC said...

Praise be it was 39 at 5:30 am when the cat wanted out and 38 when I woke back up at 7:30. No frost, no freeze. Still, my warm season veggies will be insulted by this.

Lisa when I talk to Jimmy at the nursery about these plants he is always talking about them in his garden. Now I want to see his garden.

Danna said...

The Tour is five weeks from today....your Lush garden will recuperate by then for sure. As long as Mother Nature behaves herself!

Lola said...

I hope all is ok. It has gotten cooler at night here also. Going to try ginger this yr. Hope it works.