Sunday, June 27, 2021

A Good Mowing

A two day weekend in the gardening season is not that common. I needed one. To do whatever I felt like doing and nothing more. I did it outside.














Wandering quietly for hours.














There was no pressing need. The paths were fine. I just felt a desire for some tidy in the rapidly expanding Lush of early summer.














So I mowed a bit over the course of two days that saw countless other odds and ends attended to in the garden.














There was time














To experience my own garden.














How did I get to this wild place?














When I think of all the maintenance that needs doing in the gardens I tend, to wander outside slowly, to edit a bit should a thought arise, to let everything else just be, feels liberating.














I am not in charge. How did I get to this wild place?














Where freshly mowed paths are all the tidy it takes to wander out there undistracted from an amazing garden bursting with life. How did I get to this wild place in the in-between time?


3 comments:

deb said...

🥰

beverly said...

I agree there is nothing like a tended woodland, so to speak. I am trying to somewhat follow in your footsteps here on the coastal plain and yes it is very freeing. Your garden looks wonderful after all these years!

Christopher C. NC said...

Hi Deb.

Beverly I may make it sound easier than it is. There is plenty of physical gardening involved most people would not be willing to do. It is just different in so many ways. I find it easier by comparison. Making a garden with nature, in nature and in big part by nature is totally freeing from the constraints of typical gardens and landscaping. It's almost a rebellion against my life's work.