Wednesday, June 2, 2021

In A Light Drizzle

The Time of Vegetation is here. The Kousa Dogwood is in full bloom.














As I wander I have been pulling Goldenrod and New England Aster.














The varmints - deer - have been eating the Blue Wood Aster, among other things, I'm wanting to fill in the space.














If only they would eat the plants I don't like. Is it too much to ask that they might be a little helpful? I have a huge meadow to edit.













The Kousa Dogwood is in full bloom.














The lighting was just right in a light drizzle. The garden was looking good.














There were even more iris in bloom. The Persicaria polymorpha and Solomon's Plume are topped in puffs of white.














One drew me down in the drizzle.














This is a meadow garden as it enters the mowing season.














A place where Black Iris bloom.














And this Joe Pye is looking like it wants to get as tall as the red Japanese maple this year. I made need to make a decision about that.














I didn't get the okra planted. The bed is ready to my satisfaction.














The time for sowing okra will come. Today the Kousa Dogwood was in full bloom.














Keep on peddling.


3 comments:

Gypsy said...

Good morning Christopher: The deer have been particularly active this Spring and have been coming out of the forest to munch on my wild violets, strawberry plants and Mayapples. I let that stuff grow hoping that if I provide them with something to eat they’ll leave the plants I really care about alone (with help from a product I get from my local garden center). That’s my hope. Your Kousa is not only beautiful, but I find it to be a cheerful tree. This Fall you’re going to have a lot of fruit and should make for frequent visits from our fine feathered friends. Gypsy

Christopher C. NC said...

The Kousa Dogwood berries do not linger here. It's not just the birds, I caught a possom climbing the tree one year. The fruit is supposed to be human edible and quite tasty.

Gypsy said...

Well, my goodness. A possum climbing a dogwood tree sure would have surprised the heck out of me. One year my hummingbird feeder kept getting emptied at night. Mind you it was hanging from a wrought iron hook mounted on the banister rail of our back porch. The porch is approximately 14 feet off the ground. One night I heard a noise and flipped on the light switch. I don’t know who was more surprised --- me or the raccoon. It had climbed up the support column, walked out on the banister and was swinging from the feeder while guzzling down the nectar. Goes to show you, if an animal is hungry it will go to great lengths to get to some food. Gypsy